Firewood for Eggs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My FIL raises layers so we eat a ton of fresh eggs. We also do a couple batches of Cornish X's a year. If you think fresh eggs are tastey then "homemade" chicken will blow your mind. We have 65 birds going in freezers next week.

Reactions: ScotO
When does a pullet become a hen?

Point well taken and Respected;ex with that said, how many things do "all" of us eat that are made with eggs in it., I.E. cakes, pies, certain doughs, etc
Those are completely acceptable uses for eggs. As long as they are unrecognizable, I don't mind them. My objections are aesthetic, not moral.

Those are completely acceptable uses for eggs. As long as they are unrecognizable, I don't mind them. My objections are aesthetic, not moral.

Agreed.I cant stand eggs either (baked in cookies,cakes or desserts are fine though).Whenever I go out for breakfast I load up on potatoes,biscuits,bacon,ham or sausage & skip the eggs.Parents think it was me being born a 3 month premie,being so small I had trouble digesting certain things so I was fed eggs & egg substitutes in addition until I was 2-3 years old.

I do love chicken though,whether fried,smoked,grilled,broiled,in a stew,casserole,sandwich or on a salad.

Reactions: WeldrDave
It's not an embryo unless it's fertilized.

Thank you for the correction. In the future, I will have to say unfertilized chicken ovum. Eewwww, gross! Although sometimes my original statement is correct, just not with store-bought eggs.;)

Thank you for the correction. In the future, I will have to say unfertilized chicken ovum. Eewwww, gross! Although sometimes my original statement is correct, just not with store-bought eggs.;)
I only eat fertilized eggs hows that for the Gross factor? My neighbor down the road sells them for 2.50 a dozen the fertilized eggs are even better for you than non.

My beer-senses (kinda like spidey-senses) just went of the chart...I assumed it was a thread here. And I was right.

Tick, tick, tick.... >>

Hey... it's the off season. At least we're still here talking about something.

Off season!? No such thing. If you're not burning, you're preparing. Just got home with another cord of lodgepole pine. Running out of places to store it, may have to build another chicken coop.

The sheds we originally built for our pigs became the chicken coups later on. Now they are being used to store wood. I swear to God.... I was told by Ag & Markets a simple way to test for egg freshness is to drop the egg into a glass of water. If it sinks its fresh. If it floats its probably ready to hatch! haha....
Good way to test for freshness cause my chickens used to hide their eggs. Chickens are an interesting study. I was told that super bright yellow pigment in their egg yolks are from them having access to eating grass. Not cracked corn like I thought. Grass and bugs!!
And finally an axiom from Oscar Wilde, "the four food group; alcohol, sugar, caffeine and fat."

Woodsheds make good chicken coups, chicken coups make good woodsheds.
That explains our eggs have really nice yokes,, I grow and juice my own wheatgrass ... my chickens get my wheatgrass trays once I have cut the grass to juice... they love it! They eat the grass that is on it's second growth... real nice for them in the winter months here..loaded with vitamins...

Reactions: ScotO
Off season!? No such thing. If you're not burning, you're preparing. Just got home with another cord of lodgepole pine. Running out of places to store it, may have to build another chicken coop.

Yep... the Hearth Room goes kinda quiet, but the Wood Shed is still hopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.