Firewood Hoarder's Club?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is incredible.

Thanks. Did it in one year. 2007-2008. Now just replacing the three I burn each year to keep the nine cord rotation stocked is all I can do. I went nuts that year. What the pics don't show is the two cords of pine racked over by the house. The pics are all red and white oak.

After I finish stacking I start praying....you see I ain't anywhere as good or as talented a stacker as most are on this forum. I pray the damn stack won't fall over cause it seems to me to be way more work restacking than it took originally!

After I finish stacking I start praying....you see I ain't anywhere as good or as talented a stacker as most are on this forum. I pray the damn stack won't fall over cause it seems to me to be way more work restacking than it took originally!
I lost a few stacks early on, but now if I get a solid base under 'em I usually only have to stack 'em once.

Yeah Eric was what caused me to do these two stacks totaling twenty cords trying to catch up. Never caught up with him. And even with a hydraulic splitter it damn near killed me. But his best contribution was finally being the guy that could tell me how to stop my saws from cutting crooked.

View attachment 114042View attachment 114043
So BB....how do you stop your saws from cutting crooked, I had same problem on last chain, thanks...

So BB....how do you stop your saws from cutting crooked, I had same problem on last chain, thanks...
Not trying to speak for BB, but this is what works for me: Make sure your chain is sharpened equally well on left/right cutters. Equal tooth length can also affect this (left/right) and make sure your bar is straight and that the slides (where the chain runs on the bar) are level and dressed.

One other thing can get you crooked , if your bar is worn too loose in the rail groove for the drive links. There is a tool for closing the bar back up to properly support your drive links.

The tip Eric gave me is that most folk, me included, can't get the angles the same just filing one side and then turning the saw around and filing the other direction. He sits the saw on the bench, clamps the bar in a vice and does one side. Then flips the saw to do the other side so he is filing the same direction on both sides. It works a treat.

Last edited:
Great, thanks, will try it...

Think of the old saying, "Pray for a good crop. Now grab a hoe and go to work." Same with that wood stack. Pray if you feel the need to. Now learn a good stacking technique. It will pay good dividends.

Thats funny , my wife says . Honey dont you got enough firewood. ! Thats like me telling her .Honey dont you got enough shoe's ! ;lol
I had a proud moment the other day... the missus told me she was in town, saw a huge tree, and though to her self "that would make a whole lot of firewood."

Status
Not open for further replies.