Firewood Hauler Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce56bb

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2005
Flint Hills of Kansas
lets see the wood haulers! mine is just a little on the nasty side but is actually very dependable and i don't have to worry about scratching it.
78 chevy 1/2t 4x4.

Attachments

• yellow1.JPG
    yellow1.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 3,119
One hauls wood, the other hauls ass...

Attachments

• 96T100.JPG
    96T100.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 2,767
  • Lightning2.JPG
    Lightning2.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 2,506
Here's mine! Not the best on gas, but she hauls without complaining!

Attachments

• Moving Wood .JPG
    Moving Wood .JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,947
why does it seem like everyone else on this board has a backhoe and dump truck except me? i'm jealous!

jabush, nice ford. is it a lightning?

bruce56bb said:
why does it seem like everyone else on this board has a backhoe and dump truck except me? i'm jealous!

Yes it is a Lightning. 2002 in True Blue. Ford only made about 1100 in that color.

I'll post a better pic as I took that one with my phone.

bruce56bb said:

I know. Seeing all of this stuff makes me think that I have been lugging wood with a jackass and a sleigh.

jabush said:
bruce56bb said:

Yes it is a Lightning. 2002 in True Blue. Ford only made about 1100 in that color.

I'll post a better pic as I took that one with my phone.

Updated the pic...

here's mine.
these were from last year sometime but they have wood in the background so i figured they are applicable.

it's an awesome truck but unfortunately it will probably be on ebay next month. it's a 3rd vehicle for us and as basic as it is it's a little too much truck to justify for weekend errands. i've got a cap and a plow for it. i figure demand for the plow will pick up in late november so we'll sell it then (sniffle sniffle).

Attachments

• 500_65535.JPG
    500_65535.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 2,470
  • 500_65535_3.JPG
    500_65535_3.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 2,459
Corie said:
Is it 5 speed?

my truck?
automatic w/overdrive. if i remember this truck came with two auto transmissions and this has the optional one that is geared a bit lower not that it cost any more. i have the original sticker for it somewhere and it says on there. it's got about 110k miles. '98 F150 4x4 4.6L V8.

Here's my hauler. Its a 6x10 utility trailer that I added pressure treated sides to. I picked it up used a couple months ago. I tow it with my wife's 2002 Durango with 5.9L V8 and tow package. You can also see our popup camper we tow as well.

Attachments

• FirewoodHauler1.jpg
    FirewoodHauler1.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 2,384
Here's a different angle of it.

Attachments

• FirewoodHauler2.jpg
    FirewoodHauler2.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 2,388
eric, the ol' ford flatbed looks like the perfect wood hauler. why don't you use that versus the wife's durango?

I see two Fords and one might even have a 390 or 460 sitting in them. O' sorry ......were supposed to be looking at the trailer.
Nice job on the trailer, whats the gross weight of her.

I like the pop-up too , its good to get away.

Well, the primary problem with the ol' ford flatbed is that its a POS and won't pass inspection. Rusted frame, various other issues. Essentially its only staying around until I can harvest the spare parts off of it. 460, C6, NP205, D60s front and rear. The other problem with the old F350 is that its way too high. 6" lift and flatbed means the bed of it is like 5' off the ground. Trailer allows me to roll big rounds right up onto it. Much easier on the back. :)

GVW of trailer is 2990 so its a little bit lightweight, but I just make sure to not fill her up too much.

What ever you use to haul wood, be sure the brakes are in good condition.

Attachments

• Problem parking.jpg
    Problem parking.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 2,414
Eric,

Nice trailer, I like how the sides imporove the functionality of the trailer. Can you elaborate on how you constructed the sides. I just purchased a similar trailer and putting some sides on it will be a project to complete before springs - Will make it easier to haul mulch... Thanks.

Probably the best picture...(those that trully know me)

Attachments

• Web IM001110.jpg
    Web IM001110.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,354
Just Kidding! (previous post)

Those that know me would say the locomotive is one of my trucks! Bottom left picture shows My 82' Chevy C30 (loaded to the gills with wood chips), 'the wagon', and the 'highway rig'...

Bottom right is the best picture I could find of the 82' Chevy C30 (2WD so it never saw plowing) 1-ton with a 10' dump bed, 350 (gas job), 3spd/w/"granny gear", direct PTO,no scissor...two stage piston!... if the rubber holds ground...she would drag a sherman tank inch by inch..."pass everything on the road cept' an auto supply or a gas station"...lol Expensive truck-"cost me a 200amp service change"(guy wanted a 200amp service to replace his 4-Main & range with an 8' riser) not a bad deal for $300.00 swap!
Comparison between my truck and the GE-9 locomotive? Nicer paint job, engine sounds better (and 'sexier'...stand next to this baby idling...just don't let the 26L Air scare ya!), and is more fuel efficient,comfortable cab, and has a long life ahead of it...WISH I COULD SAY THE SAME ABOUT MY TRUCK....lol

Attachments

• Web IM001030.jpg
    Web IM001030.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,257
  • Web IM000888.jpg
    Web IM000888.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,222
Shawn said:
Eric,

Nice trailer, I like how the sides imporove the functionality of the trailer. Can you elaborate on how you constructed the sides. I just purchased a similar trailer and putting some sides on it will be a project to complete before springs - Will make it easier to haul mulch... Thanks.

Shawn, if I had to do it again, I'd probably do it a bit differently. All parts are pressure treated, which adds a lot of weight and restricts the amount you can haul in the trailer. Each side and the front are different pieces. I set mine to 3' tall, but if I had to do it again, I'd probably make them 2.5'. Then I could see over the trailer out the rear view mirror. Now I've got to put my extenable side mirrors on to see. Dohhh!

Ok, each side is essentially like a wall framed in your house. I sat each of these on top of the metal side rails, no plywood attached yet. Drilled holes through the sides in three place and ran galvanized bolts through the wood and metal railes securing them down to the trailer. Then I added the plywood to the side. It runs long below through to the deck of the trailer on the inside of the metal rails. Its screwed to the wood frame mentioned previously.

Now you'll notice nothing is holding the bottom foot of this piece. This is when I used the two "Stake pockets" on each side and connected the bottom of the plywood in two places. In this way I can actually remove the sides by un-bolting them and lifting them up out of the stake pockets.

Each corner is then overlapped with scrap 2x4 and bolted through to keep the front corners "Square" to the trailer.

Now what would I do differently, I'd make the sides with 2' centers insted of 16" for less weight. I'd make the sides 2.5' instead of 3' off the deck. Lastly I'd avoid driving the trailer when its full of weed into my yard when its muddy and getting it stuck. :)

Hope that helps.

Eric

Eric,

Thanks for the information. THe project looks pretty straight forward - your clarification helped a lot. I think I am going to probably make my sides 2 feet high - this should help me avoid overloading either the trailer or the truck. I'm looking forward to a nice dry, semi-warm weekend to tackle this project. Again, thanks for the input.

LOL. I was using one of those just last night to bring some more wood into the garage. Used it to build a walk last summer. Have to say that wood is easier to move around than crusher run!

Status
Not open for further replies.