Firewood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Do you split wood out where you cut it or bring it home to split?

• Split in the woods

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Split at home

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JHD

Dec 7, 2015
West Michigan
Probably a no-brainer, but I want to make sure I list this wood properly because I'll probably sell it.

It has light colored wood throughout (no heartwood difference), with a tight mostly straight grain. It's bark had mostly fallen off (dead for awhile), and is smooth gray underneath, bugs have been tunneling here. Someone said its elm, but It splits pretty well, everything I've read suggests elm is very stringy, this stuff quarters up nicely with a good solid yet clinking sound. Some string to it but not much. Wood is not light but not too heavy. It has been dead and sun baked for some time.
The predominant hardwood in this area is ash, maple, elm and boxelder.

Any help would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_20151212_170541.jpg
    IMG_20151212_170541.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20151212_170600~2.jpg
    IMG_20151212_170600~2.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 157
Looks like maple to me. Might just list it as mixed hardwood.

Reactions: JHD
I'm going with maple.

Reactions: JHD
Status
Not open for further replies.