Firewood Kiln

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Ryan

Mar 17, 2008
Long Island NY
Has anybody ever seen,use or know how to make a firewood kiln. I'm thinking of making something out of clear plastic with some type of venting on top to promote natural convection.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Walter

Check with your state agriculture department or County Extention Service. I recall seeing plans for solar firewood driers back in the 70's. One, which may have appeared in Mother Earth News or a short lived magazine devoted to wood burning whose name I can't remember, featured a clear poly kiln with a chimney - black on one side, clear on the other three - to provide natural solar powered air circulation. It might also be helpful to look at some do-it-yourself greenhouse books for ideas that might be adapted. I realize all this is pretty vague and unhelpful, but I am quite sure what your looking for does exist and is probably on the web somewhere.

No discouragement on your building a firewood solar kiln; in fact I built a solar dry kiln to dry my lumber. But I think you will be money ahead simply by splitting and stacking your wood with good air circulation, including through the bottom, and covered to keep the rain off, but allowing for air circulation across the top too.

Status
Not open for further replies.