Firewood musings......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
In April we were blessed with a LOT of free silver maple - not the best burning wood but free is free. Mighty Mouse here apparently over reached her physical abilities in hefting around large rounds and paid for it with a pulled tendon in my forearm. I spent some weeks in PT and per Dr. orders layed off the firewood work for the summer.

Well, yesterday was the day to get those rounds worked up. Our normal method is as we split we fill up the yard trailer and immediately stack that same trailer load. Considering I had been out of commission all summer I had the itch to just split-split-split and let the wood drop on the driveway and then call in family help over the weekend to stack - playing the "Helping your parents earns you rewards elsewhere" card - this thought has never worked before but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what happened.

So, Thursday afternoon we started splitting and dropping the splits on the driveway. I hate handling wood twice when I only need to handle it once. Dropping on the driveway meant "someone" then had to pick it up to get wheels under it to deliver it to the stacking area.

"Nope - nodda - can't help this weekend Mom - got other things planned" is the answer I got when I called for 'volunteers'. Disappointed but not defeated I told hubby that we will just have to make sure we get the splits moved before the snow.

Imagine my surprise when I got a call-back minutes laters saying "Hey, our kids don't have school on Friday. Could you use their help?" Dumb question - answer was "Yes!" Two grand-daughters, ages 13 and 7, were delivered to our home at 7:15 am yesterday. :)

What a team! Kids got ALL the wood on the driveway moved to the stacks. After a short training the 13 yr. old was stacking like a pro. The 7-yr. old moved wood with a coaster wagon. The 13-yr old used our "Love Bug" and/or wheelbarrow while hubby & I continued splitting and filling the RubberMaid yard trailer.

End result: A stack 4' tall, 4' deep by 12' long = roughly 1-1/2 cord of wood. :) Yeah, I know pics or it didn't happen - camera has been MIA since Christmas. :(

The 7-yr. old was easily distracted by riding a bike and playing on the neighbors swingset - but, hey, she did work a little.

The 13-yr. old worked like a trooper. She had such fun driving the "Love Bug" I kidded her she should be paying us. :) Of course she took the long way around the house to get to/from the stacks (to get more time running the "Love Bug") and she worked right along all day.

We took a lunch break and took the girls out to the Chinese buffet they both love and we paid the 13-yr. old $10 - she's saving up for a trip to Ireland when she graduates from high school. :)

Here's a picture of the "Love Bug" (that is the real model name of it!) when we first got it. We have since added a bin to hold wood on the shelf in the back of it.

MTD_LUV.jpg

Great stuff, Shari....sounds like she really took to it! I like Silver Maple and there is a lot of it around me here in PA.

On a sidenote, how is that tendon doing? Sounds healed.....

I like soft Maple, and grab it any time I can...not much in the woods here. I just saw a Red Maple that someone cut down a couple of miles from the house; I'm going to contact them this AM and see if I can score it! :)

Nice to get some extra hands pitching in; You can get a lot done in a short amount of time. I need to get some wood over to my MIL's house, and will be recruiting a few family member for a chain gang to pass splits from the trailer to the stacking area. With four people we can stack a trailer load (half a cord) in short order.

Shari, have you got your wood for this season lined out, in spite of being sidelined over the summer? I was talking to my mom up there yesterday and it looks like you've got a couple of chilly days coming up, maybe a little frost on the pumpkin! :oops:

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Awesome post, Shari!

I need to read good stories like this one more often. I didn't do well at the "helping your parents for any reason card" until I turned 30. Then I did my best! I think you had way more fun than if adults would have shown up!

I need to read good stories like this one more often. I didn't do well at the "helping your parents for any reason card" until I turned 30. Then I did my best! I think you had way more fun than if adults would have shown up!
Rebellious rock musician, were ya? ==c

Reactions: Soundchasm
Thanks for the comments and the "likes" everyone. :)

Re: my tendon - well, I felt a couple of tweaks in it yesterday when I was rotating some of the large (24"+) rounds on the splitter. It's really kind of a weird feeling - like it's tearing - but nothing at all like it was this Spring and it feels okay today. I'm not telling my Dr. what I did yesterday.

Re: Seasoned wood - I should have enough for this winter (2013/14). Next year looks a little skimpy but I'm on the lookout for more freebies. What we split/stacked yesterday is deemed for 2014/15.

This is really the first time we employed the Luv Bug to do so much work. I really bought for hubby to retrieve seasoned wood and bring that wood up to the house. We've got the riding mower and the rubbermaid trailer but backing that around is not always easy in the confines of the stacks. The Luv Bug has a 24" wide mower deck and is probably +/- 36" wide so it works like a champ in tight places. I think the rubbermaid trailer is closer to +48"wide.

The Luv Bug is/was made by Yard Machines and has a 6.75 I/C Briggs, electric start. The mower deck is not currently working. I don't care as I don't need it for mowing - it is hubby's wood haulin' machine. :)

Here's on helluva an "Atta Girl", Shari !!!

Nice work, Girl friend ;)

Thanks for the comments and the "likes" everyone. :)

Re: my tendon - well, I felt a couple of tweaks in it yesterday when I was rotating some of the large (24"+) rounds on the splitter. It's really kind of a weird feeling - like it's tearing - but nothing at all like it was this Spring and it feels okay today. I'm not telling my Dr. what I did yesterday.

Check out a vitamin supplement by Enzymatic Therapy called "Myo-tone"; it supports the tendons, muscles and ligaments. I've taken it for years along with Glucosamine/Chondroiton/MSM and have been pretty good because of it even at almost 53.

Great story Shari, except for the arm. Oh how I wish we were closer as we would gladly come and give you a hand.

Great story Shari. Is the love bug a pull start?

Family time with the Grandkids is priceless.....great story

Status
Not open for further replies.