Firewood newbie...I need a little help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DutchMaple

Aug 18, 2015
Rotterdam NY
Hi all,
I first would like to say that this forum has helped me out a ton since the wife and I had moved to our new home. The info here helped me make a decision on a new wood stove insert , an Enviro Boston 1700.. and it is awesome!

I usually just lurk and use the search , but I need help finding a reputable wood dealer near my home (Rotterdam NY .) I cut into my wood supply boiling Maple syrup this last spring and I need some good hardwood for winter. And as we head into the 2nd year burning wood I'm a little short.

Can anyone recommend someone in the Schenectady County or southern Saratoga county area that delivers ?

Ive been craigslisting , called a couple of hardware stores, even a few wood guys who have stated "i'm too far behind to help out", understandibly since we're heading into fall.

Thanks a bunch,
John

Its heading toward their big season. Where they can charge higher prices. Call your county cooperative extension, get number for Albany. I dont know what department, Natural resources, forestry...ag and market
[email protected]
Albany can send you a list of all registered loggers in NYS. The county also has master foresters that volunteer for the counties to help landowners, but my experience with them is that they are generally not well informed.
The list of loggers they sent me was about 40-50 pages.
Buy green and season it yourself, dont fall for paying the high price of "seasoned" wood.
Craigslist is fun if you already have a necessary amount of firewood and you are just scanning it for free stuff.
My next door neighbor does mapling too and it does use a lot of wood.

Reactions: DutchMaple
Theres a guy(farmer) on Grooms Road in Clifton Park. Across from the new firehouse.
You will have to just drive by it, or google map it or Google earth it. He always has huge piles of wood. He buys logs and processes it. He always has wood.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help with a largely local question.

The guy on Grooms Rd is from Lyndsey's Orchard.

When I'd scrounge I would head over to the brush dump on Hetcheltown Rd and fill up the back of my truck with whatever is there.

Are you looking for wood for this year? That could be real hard to come by. You might end up looking for pallets.

I suggest calling some tree services. They may sell firewood on the side or know some guys who do. However, I agree with claydogg: That wood you buy now won't be ready before next year's winter the earliest. Compressed wood logs, pallets, lumber scraps or similar may be your only options for this winter.

Know anyone in the construction/remodeling business? They may have access to the scraps they would otherwise pay for disposal of it. It burns fast, but it is free.

If you have a saw, maybe a friend with a woodlot has small, dead trees with the bark falling off. Probably not feasible for most burners unless you only go through a couple cords a year. Lotta work and time, cutting it and getting it home.

Do you want cut & split delivered, or log length? Can't really help you out on the split part... I tried a few different guys around the Saratoga area and got ok at best results. I always asked for 16", lengths were all over the place, from 12" to 20+".

If you have some way to transport wood, and don't mind a little drive, head up to Pettey's Sawmill in Gansevoort, NY. They give away their slab wood for free. It's all pine, but it's free. Bring a saw with you, some of the pieces are long.

For log length, call Whately- 518-810-9265

Thank all for the replies ! And the compliments ..

Ive done Maple sugaring for the first time this last spring..and I'm hooked ! And it's the first time i've had real Maple syrup..Ill never go back to the fake stuff ever again.

Yeah I was hoping t find some split delivered. It amazing when you get busy and then the alarm went off "Get Wood!" , yeah its a bit late in the season. But Ive got a little bit in reserve. (maybe 1/2 cord) . And I have just about a cord of 1 year seasoned Oak too. But I wasn't planning on touching that until next winter. We went thru 3 cord last year. But we stayed warm for sure. I do have a supply of pallets (almost 50 + here at work)...but some of them are funky but I used them to help along wet stuff last year and getting the fire started. Also Ill look at the Eco Bricks as well.

Thanks eatenbylimestone , I'll call over to Lyndsey's Orchard to see what they have . And thanks for the hint about the Hetchltown road ...I work right on Maple ave ,Scotia...I've always wondered about if the town/county dumps their wood there.

And thank you drz1050 for the number for log length wood ! I'm definitely going to get a load of logs. I'm tired of messing around hunting for a wood guy. Plus Ive really enjoyed bucking,splitting,stacking . Its fun work with a great sense of accomplishment !

Its funny.... I saw that "email" thread about the guy that's got the wood obsession...I really did laugh out loud because I totally feel like that ..I'm always looking at others wood stacks driving by... or seeing trees laying around . I got a kick out of that !!

Reactions: drz1050
Do you want cut & split delivered, or log length? Can't really help you out on the split part... I tried a few different guys around the Saratoga area and got ok at best results. I always asked for 16", lengths were all over the place, from 12" to 20+".

If you have some way to transport wood, and don't mind a little drive, head up to Pettey's Sawmill in Gansevoort, NY. They give away their slab wood for free. It's all pine, but it's free. Bring a saw with you, some of the pieces are long.

For log length, call Whately- 518-810-9265

I've seen that guy's sign. Isn't it on Eddy Rd?

I've seen that guy's sign. Isn't it on Eddy Rd?

What guy, you mean Whately? He has a couple different spots, not sure where they all are... I know his one is right next to Curtis Lumber in Ballston Spa. Don't know where the other is. Not sure where Eddy Rd is.

Ohhh, that. Yeah, that's the place. Slab wood is around the side entrance, stacked up on the outside of the fence.

Well I found some wood . Some maple that was cut and stacked last spring (2014) . So the wife and I made up some stake sides for the truck and went for a ride Sunday to pick up the wood . I bought two cords from him ( I can haul only one at a time). They have a wonderful family operation that just do it for side money for their sons going to college. I'm always glad to help out the "little guy". I'm still going to look into log length wood and process it myself so I'm not in a bind next year.

Here's a picture of Sundays haul.

firewood1.jpg firewood2.jpg

That's what I was thinking! If it turns out to still be a bit damp, split it smaller for more surface area.

I had lucked out with the Dodge . The previous owner was an older couple that towed a camper twice a year, and they had air bags put on . So I had bumped up the pressure to help with the load. The air bags make a huge difference. The first load I started at 40 psi and it the rear was a little bit dumpy , esp over bumps. So after we dumped the first load , I bumped the pressure up to 60 psi (100 psi is max) for the second run . And it was a smooth ride home.

Yeah I have the wood covered now with a tarp , the rain should end today with sun the rest of the week . So ill uncover tomorrow to let it get some sun and wind before going in the garage.

Excellent news, and great find for a supplier! It's rare that you find that these days, as most sellers will sell what they split that day if they could - especially this late in the year. Good to know on the Dodge too - would love to have a 3500 with an 8' bed. They are not so common and the new ones are outrageous!

Last edited:
Nice score !!! Welcome to the forums

Top cover only, and get some air moving through it, get it stacked, and you'll be golden :)

Reactions: Seanm
Status
Not open for further replies.