firewood price

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

netmouse

May 25, 2008
North NJ
What is this year's going price for a cord of fire wood for a stove? In the northeast (Norht NJ) I am hearing $210-225. Last year was $175, so quite a jump. I am buying later in the year.

Here in Southern NH, $350 per cord for seasoned hardwood seems pretty common.

100 cord here!

I've seen ads for $180 to $200 a cord, probably not seasoned, in western Mass.
Ed

$150 per cord csd on average around here, but you can find better deals on Craigs list and local papers. I just recently bought 2 cords of mostly dry Oak rounds for $160.

Last year was $300 per cord from my wood guy. This year for existing customers was $330 and for new ones $345. This is 1 year dried csd. He stops taking orders when he is out of the 1 year aged wood.

One tree service company had me call the guy who they give their trees to, and who spilits and delivers the wood. The cost is only $180 (versus 210-225 other companies). He says the trees were cut 2 years ago, and he split them last spring. is that no good? In other words it does not matter when you cut down the tree - what matters is when you split the wood, right? Am I better paying the 225 for older split wood?

One tree service company had me call the guy who they give their trees to, and who spilits and delivers the wood.

Wiggers or Alpine Gardens?

He says the trees were cut 2 years ago, and he split them last spring

That sounds pretty good. Getting wood that is green that you intend to burn this winter would be a virtual waste of time what ever the price.

$240 for a cord not less than a year seasoned delivered (not stacked) in the Cleveland area by a seller who does this seriously (via Craigslist).

Around here all you can get nowadays is csd, and it varies between 160 and 220 per cord. Oh, and did I mention that the only thing we have to burn out here on the west coast is softwood. At least when you buy it in March it is ready to burn in Nov. :smirk:

I have seen $200. a cord in newspaper in central Jerzy but I doubt that any of the wood has been split longer then 3 months.

Seeing as we all use face cords around here, the going rate for a fc is $55-$70 so that makes around $165 to $210 a cord for cut split and delivered.

Depends, cut and split, well it's hard to get a reliable vendor who will deliver a true cord, even though there's plenty of wood available here. Price can range anywhere from 100 to 200, and you'll likely not get a true cord. If you don't want to got to the forest to collect your own wood (I don't go in to the forest much while the bears are awake and active) but you're willing to cut and split, there's a nearby mill that will deliver a large dump truck of seasoned wood (mainly pine, some fir, but that's what grows here) for $175. I went the latter route this year--I should be finished cutting and splitting tomorrow. So far, I've got 550 cf in the wood shed. I'll probably have another 30-40 cf by the time I'm done tomorrow. This winter, if the snow's not too deep, I may get a permit from the forest service and begin colecting my own wood for next year. The permit is around $40 and allows you to collect 2 cords.

netmouse said:
One tree service company had me call the guy who they give their trees to, and who spilits and delivers the wood. The cost is only $180 (versus 210-225 other companies). He says the trees were cut 2 years ago, and he split them last spring. is that no good? In other words it does not matter when you cut down the tree - what matters is when you split the wood, right? Am I better paying the 225 for older split wood?

Good morning netmouse...yeah the real seasoning starts when the wood is split. I think you're safe with the 180 wood as hot as it gets in Jersey. And btw that is a very good price if it were me and I was in your shoes I'd buy all I could afford.

The thing is if you have to buy wood put yourself in a position to buy green wood...it's cheaper. That requires you stock up and have a place to store it. Not practical for a lot of folks I know.

Seeing prices within a 50 mile radius between $225 and $350. Couple of folks I spoke to with wood for $200 - it was wet/green. I am not even sure that there is any seasoned wood out there by now...

local guy will deliver a log trucks worth approx 10 cord in 8 foot length of mixed hardwood for $800 smaller loads $100 per cord

I happened to talk to one local guy. He sells all Oak, full cords, for 200. I assume that is dumped in your driveway.

I'm seeing anywhere from $200.00 - "come and get it" to $350 - delivered. Stacking extra. Craigslist and local paper ads running about the same. Except of course for the few craigslist jokers who think every branch that falls in thier yard is a gold mine for wood burners.

Around Harwich on the Cape, $350/cord, $200/1/2 cord, seasoned up to 2years.
Ed

Central NH - c/s/d for a cord around $225 green, up to $350 seasoned to "dry".

Near Lowell, MA I'm seeing CSD hardwood "seasoned" for around $325.

Small farm store on the Reading/Woburn line of MA must of had a pair of 2-story HOUSE-sized piles of splits. They were selling for $450/cord delivered!

While I'm young, scrounging pays off.

I was searching the portland area craigs list this morning. Most everyone was in the 225 range. One guy wanted 250 for GREEN Douglas Fir.....no way.

Out here, just west of Albany, NY, we're seeing $150 to $225 per cord for green wood.
I bought 2 cords this summer from someone for $175/cord and see they are now charging
$200/cord. Last year it was $150!

Status
Not open for further replies.