firewood/privacy fence for front patio

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedOctober

Nov 12, 2007
Orangeburg, NY
After the fence contractor gave some insane number I decided to move my April green wood to some self made treated/joist work, and save a ton. Now I have the Patio privacy I want as well as forced collection of wood early in the season.

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 5,709
  • wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 4,183
I love it! We did a similar thing to give our hot tub more privacy... not as fancy as what you did, though!

I like it, great job. The patio is really nice too.

Ill just say this.... It is as easy as it gets.... for about 150 bucks (plus my splits) i was able to cover what the contractor wanted 1600 to do...so there you go. And, the wife thought i was crazy till she saw final product, now I have her confidence (for now) lol.

I like it, but my wife would shoot me if I did something like that.

Hey Red, remember you are gonna have to burn that fence once it's seasoned. Nice looking though.

Hey, it's a work of art that expresses something about its creator!
(The fence will disappear during the winter, but then he can "restock" it in the spring with new wood just in time to enjoy privacy on the patio, again.)

That's my dream fence Red ! I half jokingly expressed something like that to my wife in the past. I just showed her your work of art and she loved it ! I'm in !! :)

Showed the wife, she loves it, wants one around the hot tub area now. She also said if you put a fire pit in the middle of the patio it could help dry the stacks out. Very nice work.

Beautiful and creative, yet- good job!

I love being surrounded by firewood. Even makes me lose my inclinations to entrench. :smirk:

Just don't paint that fence! :lol:

Great job!

I'm working on a similar fence for my back yard.

What are you using for your racks. Dimensions and lumber used?

I've built mine out of PT 2x4s and have made mine 4' high, 8' long, and 18'' deep which is supposed to = a face cord? Correct?

The support structure (posts) are all 4X4 each 6ft high (except one that I left 8ft high)

The length of the structure are all 2X6 each 8ft long

The width (the portion conecting the 2 (two) 4X4 are 2X4's) each 14 inches long.

I hope that answers your question.

My wife said if I ever put up a nice wall like that she wouldn't want it taken apart to burn.

sweet very low maintenance.i do believe how you have it, it will season very fast.

I thought I'd clear up an apparent misunderstanding, I cannot burn the structure after the season (it's pressure treated). I will give it a annual check-up and re-use it.

Also, my the wood there does season very fast, the air flow on the patio has always been noticable.

Precisely how well it seasons and how fast?
I cannot give precise numbers cause I'm too cheap to buy a moisture meter.

:)

Wow, Fence looks great. How super creative of you. You should patent it. Everybodys going to want one now that the idea is out of the bag!! Good job.

Todd said:
I like it, but my wife would shoot me if I did something like that.
Same here. I tried to build a firewood fence across the back lawn this year. It won't be there after this burn season. :-S

f3cbboy said:
Nice looking fence. everybody should have one!

F3cb, we're neighbors, do you know a good place to buy some cut firewood,

I am getting prices of 200 a cord, have you seen cheaper?

Or do you have any positive experience with a local supplier, if the wood is all high BTU, Oak or hickory.. etc I would pay a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.