Firewood Projects

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff4ee

Oct 19, 2014
Sellersville, PA
Hello everyone,
I joined the forum a little while ago and have read some great things over the past few months. Anyway, I wanted to share my most recent project made with some pieces of firewood. This will be a wedding gift for some good friends today. Have you ever sacrificed some wood for a project?

image1.JPG

I've got a 7 ft log of Black Cherry that I'm about to load up onto my trailer and take over to a friend's house so that he can mill it into some slabs I can use for the mantle on my new 30NC that I just installed. I also saved a 5 ft stick of maple to make the trim for the sides. I struggled with it, but ultimately I know it will make the Mrs very happy so I'm doing it anyway.

Reactions: drz1050
Hey Jeff, welcome to the forum. That's a cool gift and nice gesture. Is that your work shop that picture was taken in? Also do you have a CNC machine? The text looks etched? Nice work.

That will look great if you keep a live edge!

Thanks! That's the plan. Your wedding gift looks great - very nice work!

EDIT: And, welcome to Hearth.com! :)

Nice gift Jeff. Hand crafted especially for them. Well done.

I don't sacrifice any wood because it ends up in the stove but I usually notch out a couple rounds for a stool with backrest for my wife and kids if they are outside when I'm cutting.

Very cool! You just cut your wood too long for your stove didn't you? :p Great way to use those 1-2" chunks you trimed off!>> Oh and you could be gifting them seasoned wood, I don't see any radial cracks..... Seriously though great idea.

Thanks for the kind words, they absolutely loved it! The picture was taken in my fathers wood shop, and the words were cut with his carvewright machine. The oak is some stuff that has been sitting around for about a year, and I split the pieces with a chisel to make them look proportionate in the rack. I'm really pleased with how everything turned out, and I'm already trying to figure out what my next project is going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.