Firewood rack ad...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Ok, I get pulled into banner ads sometimes, I admit it. So I saw one of those pretty wood racks on the banner ad a bit ago for the "Woodhaven" firewood racks and went looking to see just how nice (and expensive) they are.

Anyway, I was looking at them then noticed the dimensions and got to noticing that something just wasn't adding up...

http://www.firewoodracks.com/1_Cord_Firewood_Rack_and_Standard_Cover.html

Notice that his is listed as a 1 cord rack but is only 16' long and 4' high.

The only way to get a full cord in this is to cut at 2' lengths... Now I do realize that there are stoves out there that burn 24" lengths, but that is far from the norm don't you think? and a 14" wide rack wouldn't be the first choice for 24" pieces for me. (I wonder how wide the cover is, it does say that it fits wood up to 24" long so it must I suppose).

Truth in advertising? oh, I know - it is a conspiracy with the wood sellers who short people when they deliver! :)

Anyway, at least they have the dimensions on there so folks know what they are getting... in my case with 16" pieces I'd be getting just under 2/3 of a cord in that thing. Oh well, even if it were able to hold a full cord of 'my' wood it still is too expensive for me so what do I really care eh?

I would imagine some folks are too lazy to build something like this and are willing to pay this crazy amount. Let me see...I am sure I could build this for no more than 40 or 50 bucks easy. If I wanted to use wood for the rack it would be even cheaper. I live near a ritzy area that I bike through sometimes and I see fancy face-cord racks outside that have gold trim or even diamond like markings on the metal racks....pretty funny stuff :lol:

$334! :bug: You could build a decent wood shed for that!

The ad does say "The cover is made out of heavy duty quality material, and has velcro front sides for quick access to your firewood. Fits wood up to 24" long".
But we know better.... 24" is too long for 95+% of us.
It's pretty, and would look "cute" in some yuppie locations.
I like the Pallet Shed! Creative and inexpensive.
Personally, I just stack on pallets without any cover at all, and put my 12 cords in the basement woodroom in August.
Happy burning.

If most folks would simply learn how to stack their wood right they wouldn't even need to buy a rack.

Last night I built a 1/2 cord holder (4' x 8') out of $25 of treated lumber. Makes me feel better that my labor was worth about $150. ;-)

Although one of those would look nicer and it would be great for when you want to make a first impression on your guests or neighbors.

Rages. . . Pics of your handywork?

Troutchaser said:
Rages. . . Pics of your handywork?

I'm not that brave. lol j/k

You'll have to copy and paste this link - I can't post it without it breaking up. http://wayneofthewoods.com/firewood rack.html

It turned out like this except I used treated 2x4s instead of 2x2s for the "floor" boards. A basic design, but it should work well for us. I am going to put in on the concrete patio outside basement and below the screened in porch (for cover from rain/snow). And I plan to stain it to match the deck after the treated wood dries a bit more. Firewood won't be stacked on it until October after the first frost.

Backwoods Savage said:
If most folks would simply learn how to stack their wood right they wouldn't even need to buy a rack.

I wish I could stack like you! (fat chance mine are starting to fall over lol)

I have a 10' and 4' Woodhaven rack, got them in a trade w/ some wood a few years ago. They are decent racks. On the heavy side, and the covers are beaten and a bit crackly. I prefer the metal ends that slide over 2x4's so you can make any length you want. I have a 16' and 18' w/ the 2x4 bottom pieces/metal end pieces, along with the Woodhaven racks in my driveway. Full for winter :)

A little too upscale for our Dogpatch....but if I had more money than brains then, Hell ya!

The crescent rack is pretty cool looking

CJRages said:
Last night I built a 1/2 cord holder (4' x 8') out of $25 of treated lumber. Makes me feel better that my labor was worth about $150. ;-)

Although one of those would look nicer and it would be great for when you want to make a first impression on your guests or neighbors.
Well... for a fair comparison, your rack would need to also have a cover that is made out of heavy duty quality material, and has velcro front sides for quick access to your firewood. If not, your labour is not worth $150.

Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.