Firewood Seasoning Shed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it wouldn't dramatically shorten drying times. The dimensions of 5'x3.5'x5' make it seem like what's sold isn't what is being pictured. Also, that seems like an awkward size.

By the time you bought enough of these to actually store a year's worth of wood (say 4 cord) you might have been better off spending that money on bio brick, or eco blocks, etc, and mixing them with your wood for this year, and getting ahead on wood so that it is dry for upcoming years.

Step to the $279 one so ya have some decent room. you can make your own anti ground moisture system by simple laying a couple of the cheap tarps down and then putting something like osb or used pallets over it to make a floor. Actually in your area just stacking off ground with a moisture barrier under and a tarp across the top not hanging more than a few inches over the sides would work just as well.

you might have been better off spending that money on bio brick, or eco blocks, etc, and mixing them with your wood

I've never heard of these products, are they any good? Any negative impact to the chimney from binders or additives?

I've never heard of these products, are they any good? Any negative impact to the chimney from binders or additives?

Not really, just a bit of a learning curve in using them as some swell a bit once they start burning (so they can't be packed extremely tight), things like that. In all, they are just a really big version of the pellets that people run in pellet stoves.

I have never burned more than about a dozen of the things, so I'm no expert. But if you poke around the site or get a new post going, you'll get some good info. Doesn't hurt to look around at local tractor supply stores, etc, to see what they have in stock. Don't wait too long, as they order them planning on selling out.

Just food for thought.

Good luck.

Reactions: weeks001
Status
Not open for further replies.