Firewood shrinkage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mtarbert said:
A Face Cord.....what is this defined as ?

As I understand it, a face cord (in this area anyway) is defined as 16" x 4' x 8'. That is equal to 1/3 of a full cord or just shy of 43 cubic feet.

How does this compare with a rick?

Firewoodguy.com said:
I hate answering these type of questions. It usually ends up in a long, no ending debate. But anyway, here goes. If you are in a town or state where the current regulations are ( Firewood is sold by the "stacked" cord measurement). Then it doesn't matter where the "stacked" measurement is taken from, as long as the dealer explains to the buyer at what point of the processing, the "stacked" cord measurement is taken from. This typical dealerthat you mentioned, is offering to you a "stacked" cord measurement of rounds that is cut to lenght that is stacked in a configuration that eguals to 128 cu ft. Then, he will split the "stacked" cord of rounds to your specification (e.g. fine split - chunky split) and delivery it to you for X amount of dollars. This method or proceedure does not mean, that you will recieve a "stacked" cord of finish product of firewood. Note; If you are inquiring a "stacked" cord of finish product of firewood, you will have to ask around where a typical firewood dealer will measure the "stack" cord after processing or at the finish stage. Remember, That does not mean that it will re-stack again to a cord either. Its my understanding, that the first stacked measurement is the legal measurement. To my knowledge, there is no regulation and or laws where firewood has to re-stack again to a cord, once it been previously stacked. In closing, The dealer you mentioned, is correct and legal in his method of a "stacked cord measurement" of rounds.

Really?
You may want to check with the town of Greefield, Massachusetts (and I would imagine many others)
http://www.townofgreenfield.org/1weights/firewoodltips_weights.php

or even here
http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/money/whatupay/whatupay.htm

WHEN BUYING
FIREWOOD...

Some people heat their homes with firewood. Firewood is sold by a measurement called a "cord".

A cord is 128 cubic feet of firewood. To be sure you have a cord, you can stack and measure the wood. For example, a cord of firewood, when stacked, could be a pile that is either:

4 feet wide, 4 feet high, and 8 feet long (4 X 4 X 8 = 128); or
2 feet wide, 4 feet high and 16 feet long (2 X 4 X 16 = 128).
You can stack the wood in other ways, too. If the width times the height times the length (all in feet) equals 128 cubic feet, you have a cord of firewood.

A seller may not use terms such as "truckload," "face cord," "rack" or "pile."

128 cubic feet is a cord when DELIVERED not when its measured 6-12 months prior to delivery.
For what its worth the above was taken from the FEDERAL site on weights and measures.

It really doesnt matter to me except to say I burned X amount of cords this winter, all my wood is "free" but I sure would hate to get 122 ounces the next time I bought gasoline too.

A face cord is 4' by 8' by however long the wood is. It is just that 16" is a common length and a 16" face cord 1/3 of a full cord. If the wood is 24" then 1 face cord is 1/2 of a full cord and if 48" then 1 face cord is 1 full cord.

Another way to say it is a face cord is a measure of area and a full cord is a measure of volume.

If you are buying wood by the face cord the length needs to be specified ahead of time, in writing if the two parties do not know each other.

But the traditional legal definition of a face cord does not specify the length of the wood.

Measuring wood by the cord is not very precise. If you want real precision do it the way the big boys do it for coal, by weight adjusted for the actual measured moisture content. But that is expensive for small quantities so most just accept the inaccuracies as a cost of doing business.

Believe me, I'm all for less government regulation. However, I do think that there has to be some standard that customers can use to compare one dealerto another. That being the case, who else could set such a standard? It seems as though it has to be the government or the industry and from these threads it seems as though there is enough question within the industry as to have to leave it to someone outside said industry.

Someone brought up gas as an example. If I sell gas for the same price as everyone else, but measure by the liter instead of the gallon, how can I be easily compared.

Less about regulation and more about standardization.

Regarding shrinkage: I can't find it at the moment but a few weeks ago there was a thread showing a very cool way to stack wood for seasoning in a circular fashion around a center pole. The center pole had a line on it that was initially covered by the stacked wood. Allegedly, when the wood had shrunk enough for the line on the pole to be visible, it was ready. I really liked how that looked. I'm going to try it this spring.

babalu87 said:
Firewoodguy.com said:
I hate answering these type of questions. It usually ends up in a long, no ending debate. But anyway, here goes. If you are in a town or state where the current regulations are ( Firewood is sold by the "stacked" cord measurement). Then it doesn't matter where the "stacked" measurement is taken from, as long as the dealer explains to the buyer at what point of the processing, the "stacked" cord measurement is taken from. This typical dealerthat you mentioned, is offering to you a "stacked" cord measurement of rounds that is cut to lenght that is stacked in a configuration that eguals to 128 cu ft. Then, he will split the "stacked" cord of rounds to your specification (e.g. fine split - chunky split) and delivery it to you for X amount of dollars. This method or proceedure does not mean, that you will recieve a "stacked" cord of finish product of firewood. Note; If you are inquiring a "stacked" cord of finish product of firewood, you will have to ask around where a typical firewood dealer will measure the "stack" cord after processing or at the finish stage. Remember, That does not mean that it will re-stack again to a cord either. Its my understanding, that the first stacked measurement is the legal measurement. To my knowledge, there is no regulation and or laws where firewood has to re-stack again to a cord, once it been previously stacked. In closing, The dealer you mentioned, is correct and legal in his method of a "stacked cord measurement" of rounds.

Really?
You may want to check with the town of Greefield, Massachusetts (and I would imagine many others)
http://www.townofgreenfield.org/1weights/firewoodltips_weights.php

or even here
http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/money/whatupay/whatupay.htm

WHEN BUYING
FIREWOOD...

Some people heat their homes with firewood. Firewood is sold by a measurement called a "cord".

A cord is 128 cubic feet of firewood. To be sure you have a cord, you can stack and measure the wood. For example, a cord of firewood, when stacked, could be a pile that is either:

4 feet wide, 4 feet high, and 8 feet long (4 X 4 X 8 = 128); or
2 feet wide, 4 feet high and 16 feet long (2 X 4 X 16 = 128).
You can stack the wood in other ways, too. If the width times the height times the length (all in feet) equals 128 cubic feet, you have a cord of firewood.

A seller may not use terms such as "truckload," "face cord," "rack" or "pile."

128 cubic feet is a cord when DELIVERED not when its measured 6-12 months prior to delivery.
For what its worth the above was taken from the FEDERAL site on weights and measures.

It really doesnt matter to me except to say I burned X amount of cords this winter, all my wood is "free" but I sure would hate to get 122 ounces the next time I bought gasoline too.

That regulation applies to all of Ma., with most MA. cities and towns have adopted. That regulation just cracks me up. (e.g. terms like "cord" .... is a prohibited term in advertising and sale...) Then read what term they are using in defining what 128 cu ft of closely stacked wood means. That right "Cord" .

Firewoodguy.com said:
That regulation just cracks me up. (e.g. terms like "cord" .... is a prohibited term in advertising and sale...) Then read what term they are using in defining what 128 cu ft of closely stacked wood means. That right "Cord" .

"A seller may not use terms such as "truckload," "face cord," "rack" or "pile.""

It says the term "face cord" may not be used. The term cord is the one to use.

Andre B. said:
Firewoodguy.com said:
That regulation just cracks me up. (e.g. terms like "cord" .... is a prohibited term in advertising and sale...) Then read what term they are using in defining what 128 cu ft of closely stacked wood means. That right "Cord" .

"A seller may not use terms such as "truckload," "face cord," "rack" or "pile.""

It says the term "face cord" may not be used. The term cord is the one to use.

http://www.townofgreenfield.org/1weights/firewoodltips_weights.php ; click on this link. I read it as Cord is a prohibited term too or did I read it wrong ?? how about this publication below in refering to using the cord term. Oh Well !!

COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS
OFFICE OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS AND BUSINESS REGULATION
10 Park Plaza - Suite 5170, Boston MA 02116
(617) 973-8700 FAX (617) 973-8799
TTY/TDD (617) 973-8790
www.mass.gov/consumer

MITT ROMNEY
GOVERNOR

KERRY HEALEY
LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR
BETH LINDSTROM
DIRECTOR

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
December 1, 2005 CONTACT:
Chris Goetcheus
(617) 973-8767

Don't Get Burned On Firewood Sales
Advice from MA Consumer Affairs Office on Firewood Purchases

Homeowners with wood burning stoves or fireplaces may look to offset heating costs this winter by burning firewood instead of relying fully on their primary heating source. But availability, price, heating efficiency and the quantity of firewood promised are important factors to consider leading up to a consumer's order.

"If you order a cord of firewood, make sure the dealer understands that what you expect to get is what the law provides," said Massachusetts Consumer Affairs Director Beth Lindstrom. "A cord is not a truckload or a pile dumped in your driveway. It must measure 128 cubic feet and measure four feet by four feet by eight feet long when closely stacked," specified Lindstrom.

Beware Loose Talk, Fuzzy Math and "the Dump"
Massachusetts law specifically prohibits the terms "cord", "face cord", "pile" or "truckload" from being used in advertising the sale of cordwood or firewood.
The first stacking of firewood is the legal measurement and doesn't necessarily happen on your property after delivery.
Sellers are required to disclose their name and address, the amount of cubic feet sold and price charged on the customer's invoice or delivery ticket.
A standard pickup truck full of loose firewood that "should be about a cord" is simply NOT a cord. If anything, it might be a "face cord", which is roughly one-third of 128 cubic feet.
Beware the dump! Get a delivery receipt attesting to the quantity sold and stack it tightly and promptly. Measure and take pictures. If the quantity delivered is less than promised, contact your local weights and measures office or the Division of Standards at (617) 727-3480.
"The density of firewood is also very important if you are going to use it as a supplemental heating source. Ideally, you want a hard wood that is seasoned and ready to burn, added Lindstrom."

The Best Burn for Your Money
Purchase fully seasoned firewood or split your firewood at least six months before use. Keep it off the ground and covered with plastic, allowing air to circulate freely.
Green wood (freshly cut) has less heat value because energy is expended evaporating moisture trapped in the wood.
Different species of firewood yield varying amounts of heat per cord. The Massachusetts Association of Professional Forresters provides the following information:
Species Heat per air-dry cord, in millions of BTU's Equivalent gallons of #2 fuel oil
Hickory 24.6 146
White oak 22.7 135
Beech 21.8 130
Red oak 21.3 127
Hard maple 21.3 127
Yellow birch 21.3 127
Ash 20.0 119
Soft maple 18.6 111
Black cherry 18.4 110
Paper birch 18.3 108
Poplar 12.5 74

What's the Cost and Availability of Firewood?
An informal survey of twenty firewood dealers by the Office of Consumer Affairs during the first week of November shed light on current prices and availability:

Prices ranged between $185.00 and $430.00 for 128 cubic feet of cut firewood and also varied for seasoned, semi-seasoned or unseasoned.
All dealers indicated firewood is delivered cut and split, but delivery charges varied.
Delivery time ranged from "same day" to seven weeks out; some specified "local only".
Seven dealers were sold-out of seasoned firewood and five of those dealers were completely out of firewood.

Firewoodguy.com said:
http://www.townofgreenfield.org/1weights/firewoodltips_weights.php ; click on this link. I read it as Cord is a prohibited term too or did I read it wrong ?? how about this publication below in refering to using the cord term. Oh Well !!

I had assumed that the text originally quoted was what was being discussed. ;)
I would say that the people named on that document should be contacted and told to correct it but being politicians being technically correct is likely not one of their priority's. Loop holes for their Lawyer friends.

Andre B. said:
Firewoodguy.com said:

I had assumed that the text originally quoted was what was being discussed. ;)
I would say that the people named on that document should be contacted and told to correct it but being politicians being technically correct is likely not one of their priority's. Loop holes for their Lawyer friends.

That is not a typo in the Ma regulations. Its been that way for years. The legal terms in MA is "Firewood" or "Cordwood" and the quanity is sold and refered to by either in "Cubic Feet" or " Cubic Meter". True, You should recieve what you paid for at the time of the sale in a stacked measurement.

Status
Not open for further replies.