Firewood - Southern Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pilot-werx

Nov 10, 2008
Southern, Maine
Hi Guys,

With all the games going on in the fire wood market in southern maine, can anyone recommend an honest person to deal with? I am looking to purchase 5 cords of wood to burn this winter.

Thanks!

I'd recommend my guy but you're a bit too far for him - he's based in North Reading, MA. Try Craig's List and see what comes up. There's always a bunch of yokels selling wood at various prices, all of which is "good, seasoned hardwood" of course!

Too far away to help, but use a moisture meter if buying "seasoned". Don't buy green and have to pay seasoned price. When they pull in with the truck, pull a couple of pieces off and crack them open(before they unload). Check moisture, if not acceptable, ask them to leave. You may find good guys to deal with, but........? you never know.

Too late this year, but you almost have to buy ahead a year and stack/season it (off the ground) yourself. Too many guys are selling year-old stuff that's been on the bottom of a huge pile or unsplit, so it's "seasoned" with quotes. Shop around. If you find a guy who's good, keep him!

Status
Not open for further replies.