Firewood storage area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stegman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2011
Sterling, MA
Finished up my firewood storage area this weekend and I'm proud as a new papa. Thought I'd share some photos.

This area is 32x6, enough for two rows of 10 pallets [3x3]. The plan is to have three six-foot high rows that run the length, with space in between each row. Should be good for about six cords.

When we bought the house last summer, the previous owner had four rows of wood stacked right up tight to the fence, with no space in between and blue tarps on top. Needless to say, the wood was crap. You can actually see where the outline on the fence of where the old wood was stacked.

I've since moved all of that to sit in the sun out back for the next 1.5 years. In short order I'm going to buy six cords of wood for next winter - hopefully something that will season up quick like Ash.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 2,197
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 2,210
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 2,276
I would think the gravel will give some drainage and actually help the pallets last longer.... at least I would thinkit would.

Shawn

3x3 pallets are unusual size for those that I come across. Most around here are 40" x 48".

a 6' high single row could be a challenge to keep from falling over...atleast with my stacking ability.

the gravel should help the pallets last longer

Sweet. Will add a great look to the fence too.
Gravel a good idea IMO. Less ground moisture & the pallets will last longer.
Use some rope or twine if you're worried about stability. Lay 2 runs on top of the rows at about 3' level
& stack on top of the twine. Tie on to the fences every 6 - 8' & let it stick out the front. then tie a stick to it
to hold the rows from falling forward.
Looks like you have a good stable base. I don't think you'll have much ground movement.
Good job, looks great.
We definitely will need a pictures of the completed stacks. :)

bogydave said:
We definitely will need a pictures of the completed stacks.

If the base looks that good, I suspect the finished stacks will look rather neat :)

Looks excellent!

Ray

Stegman, you have a great idea there. I'm assuming you must stack your wood there rather than in the full open simply because of the size of your lot. You have the right idea by leaving space between the rows and I do like the stone under the stacks.

Stacking the wood that high can be a bit of a challenge but certainly doable. You might try tying the rows together by acquiring some logs that are much longer than the rest so you can lay some that will be in two rows at once. That will add stability to each row. I'd guess if you did that perhaps at the 3' and 5' level those stacks would be very stable. Good luck and please post some pictures when you've completed the stacking. I for one would love to see them.

Do you plan on staining or painting that fence?

All you need to do is throw up a lean-to roof against that fence and you got yourself a full blown woodshed.

That's basicly how I built my woodshed.
almostfull.JPG

I've got gravel under my wood, (no pallets).

Carbon_Liberator said:
All you need to do is throw up a lean-to roof against that fence and you got yourself a full blown woodshed.

That's basicly how I built my woodshed.
almostfull.JPG

I've got gravel under my wood, (no pallets).

Still think you shed is one of the "gold standard ones" for looks, usefulness & access.
Never realized you didn't build the back wall, & that is was an existing fence.
Great looking shed.
I bet Stegman will consider yours as a future additions to his. Be pretty easy, like you said.

CL: Why are there splits on your roof, run out of room or wind protection?

Looks good. I started mine this weekend too, same deal, stone under the pallets but Im building a frame so I can cover in the winter and I wont have to cross stck the sides so they dont fall over. My pallets are 48" x 44"
Do you have a wood guy you buy from or you cut your own wood?

Thanks Dave and Cate.

Dave I did actually build the back fence too, but I essentially just built the shed off the fence. It could just as easily been an existing fence, except that the existing fence that was there was too short and very dilapidated.
Seeing the picture of that tall fence the OP posted and seeing how he'll be stacking his wood right against the fence anyway, it would be pretty easy option to build a roof off of it. Sure beats doing the tarp thing.

The wood that was sitting on the roof was a bit of extra unseasoned walnut wood that I split small and left on the roof all summer to hasted drying.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Yes, the gravel is to aid drainage so the pallets last longer. Not sure what the shelf life of a pallet is, but I'm hoping a couple of years at least.

Can't do anything with the fence as I'm pretty sure it belongs to the neighbor. I'm hoping that the marks left by the old firewood stack will go away, but at the very least my new woodpile will hide it.

Not quite sure how I'll handle the stacks. I'm actually thinking of breaking them in half, so I'd have six, 15-foot long stacks using cross-laid "towers" at the ends. That would help with air flow, too, rather than having three really long rows.

Alternatively, I was also thinking of attaching vertical pallets on each end and in the middle and using diagonal 2x4s to brace them.

Carbon - thanks for making my little project seem second rate. ;-)

I'll be sure to update with photos as I stack.

Stegman said:
Carbon - thanks for making my little project seem second rate. ;-)

Mine looks 3rd rate rubbish in comparison, I think I'll just have to burn it all next winter :)

Stegman said:
Can't do anything with the fence as I'm pretty sure it belongs to the neighbor. I'm hoping that the marks left by the old firewood stack will go away, but at the very least my new woodpile will hide it.

I'd give it a coat of water shield or something so it don't rot out. Even paint, only you will see your side.. I believe your side (face) of the fence is yours to maintain.
Make it look good for you. The wood stacks are sure going to make it look good. that section anyway. IMO

As far as I know when someone installs a fence you're supposed to place the best side towards the neighbor's side.. To me it looks like it's the other way around..

Ray

If that fence were leaning every which way & threatening to fall over I'd swear it was mine.
Wood storage area looks good to me and I'm jealous of all those pallets. I count 23 there. Scrounging pallets has been holding up my stacking for weeks. I need 4 to start a Holz Hausen and at least 1 more for a smoker/fire-pit wood bin. Only got 2 so far. Harder to find than firewood for me.

Also, it's hard to say without seeing it, but I would not be surprised if the wood the previous owner stored under tarp dried much more quickly than green once stacked properly & could be good to go in the fall.

midwestcoast said:
If that fence were leaning every which way & threatening to fall over I'd swear it was mine.
Wood storage area looks good to me and I'm jealous of all those pallets. I count 23 there. Scrounging pallets has been holding up my stacking for weeks. I need 4 to start a Holz Hausen and at least 1 more for a smoker/fire-pit wood bin. Only got 2 so far. Harder to find than firewood for me.

Also, it's hard to say without seeing it, but I would not be surprised if the wood the previous owner stored under tarp dried much more quickly than green once stacked properly & could be good to go in the fall.

I was in the same boat with pallets until a couple of weeks ago when I swung by this place where I had gotten them in the past. I pulled around the corner and there had to be a stack of 40 out there. They must have just put them out because they usually go fast.

I grabbed 14 the first trip, and went back and got 13 more. 22 of them are the identical 3x3 size. It was a huge score. I was so psyched.

As far as the old firewood that we inherited with the house goes, a lot of it has the mold/fungus stuff growing on the ends. I think it should be OK eventually, but I'm going to give it 18 months to dry out. I'm picking up five or six cords of Ash to burn next winter.

Sweet. Most places around here tend to sell/return their palettes. I may just have come across a few at a project site I'm working. I can bring'em back one at a time IF I can fit one in my Prius (seriously). Hmm, just remembered I do have an El-Cheapo roof rack in the basement....
I promise to take a pic if I do that :)

midwestcoast said:

Drive around the back of your local Home Depot...after dark ;)

Got my first delivery of wood yesterday, so I placed the pallets and began stacking. That's about half a cord stacked there. Took about 90 minutes or so [I was working slowly due to fatigue and old age].

Attachments

• Pallets.jpg
    Pallets.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 721
  • Stack.jpg
    Stack.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 745
Take your time and stack it good. Looks good so far. I would allow just a bit more room between the wood and the fence just for better air circulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.