Firewood storage....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott in IN

Dec 27, 2007
Indiana
My new Heathstone Homestead is up and running awesomely, I'll get some picts later. I wasn't really anticipating a wood stove this year so I only had a little bit of wood, therefore I ended up buying a cord ($150 delivered). I had the guys dump it as close as they could from my (near empty) wood shed. It's going to take some time to get it all moved a wheelbarrow at a time to the shed. In the meantime it's raining and snowing so should I tarp the pile or just leave it be?

Tarp it when rain or snow threatens but open it in any and all dry weather so any moisture it's giving off or that is rising from the ground can evaporate.

Quit Complaining, ... it reads

"Do you want to be the one to go outside when it's minus-15 to get some firewood? All right then quit complaining!"

Attachments

• Quit Complaining.jpg
    Quit Complaining.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 875
Get it off the ground and cover it. It can be a pain in the neck to dry out seaoned wood that got wet from rain or snow. Fluffy snow can be brushed off, but rain could take several days to over a week to evaporate depending on how much rain, idid some of it freeze, f there's full sun, etc.

tarp it and move it bit by bit, raking up the grass as you uncover it, and uncover it on sunny days to help it dry out

Put the wood up on a couple of pallets or otherwise get if off the ground.

Any rounds touching the ground will absorb moisture from the ground & start to rot.
You only have 20 days to get it off the ground before rot starts.

Probably easier to work hard & get it all into the shed as soon as possible.

I never had any luck at all with tarps. The wind would always catch them & make airplanes out of them & if the tarp was tied down, the wind would eventually rip it to schreads & I had tarps leak water on me too. So ' I give up on tarps altogether, as the bad (for me) idea that they are & have 3 wood sheds instead.

One almost 1/2 empty now. be 2/3 empty next time i go out there.

What wood is not in the sheds gets rained & snowed on until spring, & then moved into what ever shed has room for it. It can dry out in the sheds until nov & that will be good enough 4 me.

Yeah...tarp it for now while it raining but uncover it when you can so it will dry. Never put wet wood under permanent cover like a wood shed. It dries out quicker than you'd think.

My wood sheds are ventilated & has been working ok for me. It rain all the time here, like every second or 3d day, that why I put inside. Just when wood start to dry out a bit,I look outside it raining again. So, rain win,& I put wood inside as soon as it feel dry on the outside.

I am sure ,your way work better someplace it not always raining. Some times it rain twice a day or 4 days in a row. So ,I had it with the weather around here.

Thanks for the cartoon. I am about to order my wood for next year and my husband always panics when he sees the stacks. Afraid they are taking over. I printed this to show him and let him know things could be worse. :)
Kilted said:
Quit Complaining, ... it reads

"Do you want to be the one to go outside when it's minus-15 to get some firewood? All right then quit complaining!"

We use pallets too and then those big heavy duty grey boat tarps that we anchor down with bungies and nails driven into the pallet bases. We also pile some long pressure treateds on top we had left from another project. AFter a few years, the pallets sort of grow into the ground or rot so we replace as needed. We use headlamps to go out and get wood in the dark of winter. I hold my breath too, never sure when some mice have made a hanta viral nest that will go airborne when I lift off the splits.

Our pile is kind of pretty to go out to as it sits under the neighbor's windbreak/property line of hemlock. Lots of birds rustling in the deep of night, stars in the sky...

Status
Not open for further replies.