Firewood the Easy Way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
This how I do it.

Attachments

• DSC00015.jpg
    DSC00015.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 1,189
  • DSC00018.jpg
    DSC00018.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 1,156
  • DSC00027.jpg
    DSC00027.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 1,138
The splitter. Fast and convenient.

Attachments

• DSC00046.jpg
    DSC00046.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 1,203
  • DSC00048.jpg
    DSC00048.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 1,198
What, no tractor mounted chainsaw to feed the splitter? Too much like work.

If I'm not cutting on my own property I bring home in a dump trailer. Daily wood is stored in a airline baggage cart near the basement door.

Attachments

• DSC00131.jpg
    DSC00131.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 1,024
  • DSC00111.jpg
    DSC00111.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 1,040
When I go out to get a load I don't like to prick around. I only bring home logs. Much easier to move and process later on plus I can get way more and maximize my time if I concentrate on just logs.

Secret to outside storage is out in the open with nothing nearby.

Attachments

• DSC00159.jpg
    DSC00159.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 1,012
  • DSC00198.jpg
    DSC00198.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 1,000
Nice set up you have there and a nice house in the back ground.

About once a year I hold a GTG where we run and race chainsaws. Some past events are on youtube.

Attachments

• DSC00025.jpg
    DSC00025.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 1,000
Yeah I admit I'm jealous.....It makes my processing look like a joke :-/ ...... Very Nice Setup you have going on and it looks very efficient to say the least

Edit: I have a couple of good friends that live in Amanda Ohio it's Pretty country

Knowing "The easy way" is still hard work when it involves fire wood from start to finish, way to go.
Anything to help is sweet.
Nice set up.

those are some nice tools to get the job done. hoping to start getting some logs like that to bring home in my dump trailer

wkpoor said:
This how I do it.

Looks like you have a great setup, but for me I still like working in the woods when cutting and splitting even though your tractor would be a great help.

Zap

What kind of wood is the orange stuff?

Your close, the best firewood there is.....Osage Orange. It actually looks yellow when first cut but darkens quickly.

wkpoor we congratulate you on a great setup and I love that FEL for grabbing the logs. That also is a fine trailer you have for hauling logs and then dumping them.

I'm only 48yr of age but after cutting wood for yrs I realized my back wouldn't last as long as me if I didn't find an easier way. After someone sees what that grapple can do they want one. And a guy near did just that after I came to his woods and moved out logs for him. I've gotten jobs removing logs because of that grapple where the owner didn't want them skidded out. Plus it makes a great to hold logs to buck down. I need to post some picks after I find them of some huge Oak logs we removed on a farm last fall.

Well, you are a bit younger than I but my back was shot at that age and you are very wise to make things easier. btw, what do you use, if anything for weight in the rear other than the weighted tires?

The rears are loaded and that tractor can easily pick 3K. With the forks Bradco fork attachment I can lift small to medium sized cars and load them on a trailer with nothing else on the back. That tractor weights 9600lbs as pictured. I like that size because it has enough ass to actually do something. When I hit lotto though I will move to a 90hp FWD. Surprisingly I almost never have a problem with the 2WD. Even on hills. I've moved huge logs out of hollers as long as it was dry.

Id like to get one of those baggage carts. Did your dog just have puppies? What are they, Labs?

Nice setup :coolsmile:

wkpoor said:
I like that size because it has enough ass to actually do something. When I hit lotto though I will move to a 90hp FWD.
Heck I'd have to hit the lotto to buy that tractor and dump trailer lol. Makes my idea of a 12hp cub cadet garden tractor log hauler look a bit pathetic!

Just one thing though- WTF is "picco" chain?

wkpoor said:
About once a year I hold a GTG where we run and race chainsaws. Some past events are on youtube.

McCulloch SP125? I'll get lucky one day & grab one on Ebay for a decent price.Still watching for that,a 797 and/or Stihl 090.

OhioBurner© said:
Makes my idea of a 12hp cub cadet garden tractor log hauler look a bit pathetic!

Not if it gets the job done.

Nice setup wkpoor. How did you come up with that baggage cart? I assume you go from heap to cart to firebox?

I'm also wondering where you got the airline baggage cart - that's sweet! REAL nice setup!! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.