Firewood to dry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greenergrass

Sep 28, 2006
I know that I should not burn wood that looks gray in color. I have about 2 cords of maple and cherry that was cut and stacked this time lasy year. I also have some oak that a friend gave me that is 2 years old. I did not cover my wood at all last year and we had a pretty dry summer. All of my wood looks gray?? This is my first time not covering my wood. I usually just go by the cracks on the ends to check for dryness. If it is too dry do I mix in green wood and if so how much? Im just trying to avoid backpuffs.

I'm soooo screwed. 8 or 9 cords of grey wood I'll have to take the the dump. %-P

greenergrass said:
I know that I should not burn wood that looks gray in color. I have about 2 cords of maple and cherry that was cut and stacked this time lasy year. I also have some oak that a friend gave me that is 2 years old. I did not cover my wood at all last year and we had a pretty dry summer. All of my wood looks gray?? This is my first time not covering my wood. I usually just go by the cracks on the ends to check for dryness. If it is too dry do I mix in green wood and if so how much? Im just trying to avoid backpuffs.

You want dry wood to burn maybe around 20% moister content seems to be ideal.

If your wood is to wet it causes a crappie burn and lots of reidues. Alsoit robs your btu's to dry before it burns.

If your wood don't sound like a steam kettle when your burning it should be ok.

Maybe someone told you gray wood is still wet but I have never heard of that.

Take one of those pieces and split it open. Should be almost white in color. Its amazing how bad a perfect piece of wood will look. Dont worry about it.

That gray color doesn't mean it's too dry, it's just a bleaching effect from being exposed to rain. Even if it was too dry you can still burn it, it will just burn faster and hotter.

greenergrass said:
Nope , Your good 2 go . Hard wood like Oak needs 2 years (seasons) to dry normally. Dont burn any green wood. Average wood for drying is about 9 months unless its real hard wood.

Rich M said:
That gray color doesn't mean it's too dry, it's just a bleaching effect from being exposed to rain. Even if it was too dry you can still burn it, it will just burn faster and hotter.

I thought I was the only one that used a woodmate. I Pretty amazing splitter, Only made 2 years in the early to mid 80's

I don't want to hijack the thread but...I got my McCollouch Woodmate electric splitter a couple years ago for $50 and it really does work great. A little slow but it will handle huge pieces no problem. The one part I worry about failing is the plastic/rubber bellows that activates the switch, I could see that cracking in cold temps so I don't use it in the winter. Have you had any problems with yours? Don't suppose you have an owners manual you would care to share? Also looking for a supplier who might have left over parts just in case. If I had a spare bellows I would run it year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.