Firewood up, oil down, where is the line?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clr8ter

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2010
Southern NH
So, I'm in the market for around 8 more cords of GREEN wood. I have been quoted around $230 a cord, split and delivered. Oil is coming down. So, I'm conflicted on what to do. I burn 4 +- cords a year, so that's right around a 1000 bucks for a year's supply of firewood. This wood wouldn't be burned until '16-'17.

Any opinions on this? And, does anyone have an idea at what price does it cost the same to heat with oil VS wood? I'd also have to take into account that the wood costs a fair amount in labor, seeing as how I don't particularly enjoy hauling wood to the woodshed. I will do it to save money, other than that, I'd have a little for the weekends, and special occasions.

Knee jerk is oil is cheap now so fill up on that now. Wood will either be the same or less in the spring/summer so you're not missing anything if you don't buy that right now.

Any opinions on this? And, does anyone have an idea at what price does it cost the same to heat with oil VS wood? I'd also have to take into account that the wood costs a fair amount in labor, seeing as how I don't particularly enjoy hauling wood to the woodshed. I will do it to save money, other than that, I'd have a little for the weekends, and special occasions.

Try this...http://www.buildinggreen.com/calc/fuel_cost.cfm

Yeah well technically the price of wood should be down as the cost to Cut, haul, split & Haul again should be lower. As long as the firewood dealer uses Gas / diesel powered processing equipment.

For me at this moment, I could get 4 load for the price of three.

Cool calculator, thanks. A quick estimate sows firewood being cheaper, depend on how much. I will have to look into some prices for oil and efficiencies to make a better determination. One wild card would be the efficiencies of the distribution system, on both fuels. We have a wood stove in a room, no dist. system. NO idea how efficient that is...

Yup, efficiency and local prices make all the difference.

For me a 20MBTU cord of seasoned fire wood replaces $511.xx in fuel oil, BTU for BTU. Considering I can get green logs in the front yard at $162. per cord I see my self "saving" about $349 every time I cut split season and burn one cord of wood, and I burnt nine cords last year... I'll keep processing wood.

$230/ cord already split and delivered could be a great deal. Is the seller reputable or someone you have bought from before?

Pssst. I bought my first gallon of gas while Ford was in the White House for .48 per gallon. I remember the first time I paid a buck a gallon. I remember the first time I paid two bucks a gallon. I lost three, but I do remember the first time I paid four bucks a gallon. Certainly buy oil while it's low if you can, but it will go back up, probably soon.

For me a 20MBTU cord of seasoned fire wood replaces $511.xx in fuel oil, BTU for BTU. Considering I can get green logs in the front yard at $162. per cord I see my self "saving" about $349 every time I cut split season and burn one cord of wood, and I burnt nine cords last year... I'll keep processing wood.

Shouldn't that be stated as "a 20MBTU cord of wood replaces XXX GALLONS of fuel oil?" Since the price of oil fluctuates all the time?

$230/ cord already split and delivered could be a great deal. Is the seller reputable or someone you have bought from before?

Agreed, I don't know, and no. However, I figure when I buy the wood, it's green, I'd prefer NOT to have a large amount of oak in it, and I plan to go see it before it's even loaded on the seller's truck. So, the only variable left to watch for is short cords.

I opted for a pallet of Niels. I have 2.5 cords seasoning, half will be ready next year. I will mix in the 1/2 cord I dry I have left with the Niels this year and will probably have 1/2 left for next year.

Personally, if I had to buy firewood, I would just stick with oil/gas/propane.

To each their own, but I'm of the same mindset. I installed a wood furnace in order to take advantage of what I usually see laying around for free. FWIW, with my parameters, if I were paying the OP's $230 per cord, my cost per million BTU would be almost identical to heating with oil at the current price (I just got 60 gallons @ $2.85/gallon). However, I figure I'm paying about $50 a cord when I count my time, labor, fuel, maintenance, etc... There was a good calculator posted on here that allowed you to estimate the cost of "free wood" but I'll be darned if I can find it now. At that rate oil would have to drop below a buck a gallon before it made sense.

I hear you guys about the free wood. But free isn't always free. Between my labor, (A LOT), and the gas to transport, and the wear and tear on the body, etc., paying for split green seems a good way to go. The 1st 20 or so cords we burned were free, and that was good. When I have an opportunity to pick up some easy free wood, I will. But I just don't think I can continue with the free wood indefinitely, ya know?

How warm do you like your home? Or should I say how warm does the Boss like the home? Wood can allow you to keep a house a lot warmer than a furnace in my opinion. I have a NG furnace (cheapest fuel available at the moment) and will run the stove any day, its a completely different feel.

I love to be in the woods cutting though and love to process the wood and admire the stacks, and watch the fire. So all my wood is free. Its all in how passionate you are about the whole process. I do have to say that in get the whole family involved so its our bonding time as well! Learning how to work together has its challenges but it has helped us and the kids in getting along better.

And if the electricity ever goes out we will still be warm!

I hear you guys about the free wood. But free isn't always free. Between my labor, (A LOT), and the gas to transport, and the wear and tear on the body, etc., paying for split green seems a good way to go. The 1st 20 or so cords we burned were free, and that was good. When I have an opportunity to pick up some easy free wood, I will. But I just don't think I can continue with the free wood indefinitely, ya know?

As I said, you can estimate the cost of "free" wood. Wear and tear on the body can be hard to quantify, but on the flip side, if one is a stickler about safe working practices (PPE, proper lifting, etc...) the effects can be minimized. Around here (Northwest NJ) at least, between Craigslist, power company trimming, storm blowdowns, state park cutting permits ($20 per cord), and just plain networking ("Hey I'm having a tree taken down-you want it?") there's always free or low cost wood available. Of course, it depends on how much you're burning also. I burn about 3-4 cords a year. If I burned double that I couldn't possibly keep up supply with free wood.

Its not only about the money on this. I find this wood thing fun & good excersize
A lot of folks mention good exercise, is it? Especially for an...er...aging person. A lot of bending over, repetitive motion, heavy unbalanced lifting. Swimming for a prolonged time is good exercise, processing wood, uh, probably not so much.

Cord wood around here can be had for $150/cord but more common around $200. I haven't paid for it yet but for the amount of work it takes to obtain and split a cord it's well worth it and pretty sure I'll get more heat from a cord of wood burned over the same time period than I would if I spent the money on oil.

Right now, not counting this years wood I'm sitting on 5+ cords CSS and 2 in the round but if my scrounging ever comes up short because I couldn't find it or because didn't feel like it I would have no qualms buying wood. I would assume it's going to be green and stack it up for a couple years.

Not to replace the gym , but in comparing to just sitting on the couch ? Much better to get out & moving the body around. You do what you can
This! I use this for my exercise, sitting in a dozer all day does nothing for my physique ;) Plus I don't want to buy any more oil from those already rich bastiches in the East than I have to. Besides, it's still fun for me

Reactions: tinman1
A lot of folks mention good exercise, is it? Especially for an...er...aging person. A lot of bending over, repetitive motion, heavy unbalanced lifting. Swimming for a prolonged time is good exercise, processing wood, uh, probably not so much.

Eh...I don't know-I think it all depends on how you do it. As my old wrestling coach used to say, you want to work out properly in order to develop callouses, not blisters.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Imagine paying $50 a month Gym Membership when you can simply run a saw and swing an axe. Not to mention all that power walking and 'World strongest man' training.

Seriously tho firewood ain't free unless its dropped off at ya house split.

Reactions: Seanm
Eh...I don't know-I think it all depends on how you do it. As my old wrestling coach used to say, you want to work out properly in order to develop callouses, not blisters.
Yea , sounds good, but in reality how often can you bend at the knees to pick up a split, before it's easier to bend over? Its like basketball, look how decrepit old players are. Swimming, boat rowing and yoga, that's the ticket.

It is to the point wood doesn't pay anymore. I can get little side jobs 5 or 6 Saturdays and have my heat payed for for the year. I have a 2200 SQ. ft. ranch with 9' ceilings. it is so efficient that the 10 k I have in the EKO 25 is not worth it. I have to say though, I have staple up pex in my basement under half the house. It is so much more comfortable than junk forced air feel. ALway has a breeze or drafty feel . I need to keep the furnace 3-4 degrees warmer to get the same comfort. After this year I have the stove is payed for for the most part. I will still burn wood but might not start till Nov. 1 and quit April 1. My biggest problem is a Craftsman 27 ton splitter is so slow it is irritating.

Shouldn't that be stated as "a 20MBTU cord of wood replaces XXX GALLONS of fuel oil?" Since the price of oil fluctuates all the time?

I think Alaskans pay more for fuel oil than likely anyone in the US. 20MBTU, 1 cord, $511. in #2 fuel was at the May 2014 price of $3.42/ gallon. When I filled in October I paid $3.84 gallon... But even I cringe when I read about heating fuel prices in the UK.

Agreed, I don't know, and no. However, I figure when I buy the wood, it's green, I'd prefer NOT to have a large amount of oak in it, and I plan to go see it before it's even loaded on the seller's truck. So, the only variable left to watch for is short cords.

You sir are not a n00b. Ass/u/me-ing full cords, what you are willing to pay for a cord of wood depends on how much you are paying for your second line heating source and how hard you are willing to work. If you are paying maybe $2.00 or so for #2 fuel oil, $250/ honest cord for green splits is probably not a good deal...but I'll bet my entire 401k that oil will be going back up soon, probably higher than it has ever been before, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.