Firewood wont fit in my new stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtcates

Mar 1, 2010
Central NC
I made a post a week ago or so about my firewood not fitting in my new stove. All 7 cords was about 3 inches too long on average. I had a few replies on the best way to go about cutting a few inches off. Well here is what I decided to do. Not the safest thing but it sure works fast. I just climbed on top of the piles and shaved 4 inches or so off the stack with my 066 and 24 inch bar. It works so well thats what I'll do all winter as I need to do so.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,000
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 992
Not that I condone such OSHA-approved behavior, but in my mind that scene would be funny as hell to watch! :lol:

NOT a good idea!!!! (there,I said it)

As long as you have a solid place for your body while sawing it should work out okay for you and will be faster. Did you stand on a step ladder while cutting? Another thought would be to do it on the ends of the stacks so you are standing on solid ground. Naturally those cross-end pieces will have to be re-stacked before cutting. Then take a scoop shovel and gather up all those loose ends and they will make great daytime burning.

Good luck and be careful.

I had the same issue two years back (only I had one cord, not 7!!!!)

Wood was 3 in too long for my Jotul 602. Cut each split down 3in and threw the scraps in rubbermaid trash bins and burned them throughout the winter as well

That only works because you have stacked your wood so well, good job.

mtcates said:
I made a post a week ago or so about my firewood not fitting in my new stove. All 7 cords was about 3 inches too long on average. I had a few replies on the best way to go about cutting a few inches off. Well here is what I decided to do. Not the safest thing but it sure works fast. I just climbed on top of the piles and shaved 4 inches or so off the stack with my 066 and 24 inch bar. It works so well thats what I'll do all winter as I need to do so.

Unintended consequences :red: :

1. Qualify for the monthly Darwin Award.

2. The "Step Away from the Saw" prize.

3. The hubris-in-boasting recognition.

4. A perfect example of why OSHA (OSHA !) may need to step in.

and.....
5. Why is this man allowed to use a 24" bar and an 066 ?

Backwoods Savage said:
As long as you have a solid place for your body while sawing it should work out okay for you and will be faster. Did you stand on a step ladder while cutting? Another thought would be to do it on the ends of the stacks so you are standing on solid ground. Naturally those cross-end pieces will have to be re-stacked before cutting. Then take a scoop shovel and gather up all those loose ends and they will make great daytime burning.

Nope, no ladder, I just stood on top of the stack. The stack is two rows wide so it is very stable.

mtcates said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Nope, no ladder, I just stood on top of the stack. The stack is two rows wide so it is very stable.
You are digging a hole. :cheese:

I had the same problem last year but I cut mine one at a time with a chop saw, took a long time but I did a little at a time as I brought some in, course mine wasnt stacked as neatly as yours either or I may have been tempted to take a shortcut. :cheese:

BAH!! Don't listen to them kill joy haters. You do what you gotta do, and most of the people saying you are doing a bad thing.. well they have done a few bad things in their lives too I would bet.

I am of a mind that if you have not done some dumb crap along the way, you aren't worth knowing, and have done nothing to forward mankinds pool of knowledge and experience.

And, next time, get some VIDEO...

:eek:hh:

Hope that video doesn't end up on the desk of the producers of Jackass. There is some potential for serious harm here. Maybe try burning some splits placed diagonally in the stove and see how that works?

Dakotas Dad said:
BAH!! Don't listen to them kill joy haters. You do what you gotta do, and most of the people saying you are doing a bad thing.. well they have done a few bad things in their lives too I would bet.

I am of a mind that if you have not done some dumb crap along the way, you aren't worth knowing, and have done nothing to forward mankinds pool of knowledge and experience.

And, next time, get some VIDEO...

You know, I never really felt uncomfortable standing on the stack cutting those ends off. If it was a single stack I would have stood in my tractor bucket and cut it but with a double wide stack it was like standing on the ground. I knew there was some degree of danger doing that but it was an acceptable risk. Falling off the stack would not be the biggest risk. The biggest risk factor would belong to the chainsaw getting out of control but I never felt out of control while doing this. I will certainly continue this through the use of these 7 cords. It is by far the least amount of labor over any other way I could do it. By the way the chainsaw is a woods ported 066 with about 1/3 more horsepower than stock. Its about 10 horsepower and I cut 20 feet of stack with a 24 inch bar in just a few minutes. I might use my 36 inch bar next time.

:eek:hh:

Try this......What would you say if you saw your Son doing that? Or if your Sons boss told him to use a saw in that manner.
Just a thought,
Mike

what is a 066?

Hey Bubba! Hold my beer and watch this!

mtarbert said:
Try this......What would you say if you saw your Son doing that? Mike

i would laugh my friggen ass off ;-P as he is too busy playing nintedo and i am just the heat guy!!! :)

loon

sandie said:
what is a 066?

Its the second largest saw Stihl makes

A point to remember:

BIG CHAINSAWS DO NOT HAVE A CONSCIENCE......................Just sayin........

So they stood on the pile and cut off the ends, YIKES!!

mtcates said:
Backwoods Savage said:

need the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.