Firewood wont fit in my new stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mtcates said:
Carbon_Liberator said:
Mtcates, I'm amused at the flak you have gotten over how you solved your problem. Frankly it looked pretty straight forward to me. I might have done it the same way except I don't have a bar that long for my saw. Oh, and I certainly wouldn't have used any safety gear, except maybe my glasses and a pair of gloves. Gosh, I must be reckless or something, because that seems pretty tame compared to some of the ways I have solved similar problems.
I'm sure, with your competence level, you were in very little danger. Now perhaps if you had your grandmother up there doing that, I might have to side with some of these guys.
I guess the real problem is posting things like that on the internet where everybody can see (and comment) on what you've done. Perhaps to protect yourself next time maybe just post a little cautionary note something like this.
****** WARNING KIDS!!! NEVER TRY THIS AT HOME ******

Apparently now we both are getting flack for this. One thing I can say is the flack is coming from the ones who are not sure of their ability to pull off a stunt like this.
And if you have no confidence in your ability you are surely more likely to get hurt. They should leave the difficult tasks for competent people like ourselves.

".....and, I will love you in the morning...."

More dueling banjos. Can we spell "STUPID" ?
"Stunt" is the operative word.

mtcates said:
Not the safest thing but it sure works fast.

The original post had a reasonable disclaimer in it. We all have different risk profiles. Its a good thing or a lot of jobs wouldn't get done.

SolarAndWood said:
mtcates said:
The original post had a reasonable disclaimer in it. We all have different risk profiles. Its a good thing or a lot of jobs wouldn't get done.

Good points. BUT, let's get serious here.

1. Many online come to this site for advice from those who call themselves pros WITH experience. Bragging about using a tool admittedly in a dumb fool way to some who may think that you're some professional--pics etc... --compounds the bad advice.
"Dare you to lick the metal lamppost now @ -10 degrees. "

2.How does anyone know these posters' background, experience, training, knowledge ? So you got that MS660 with that 60" bar. Then what?

3. You really want the adrenaline of danger ? Want to really put yourself in harm's way ? Do a night jump. Climb @ a 5.10 rated rock face. Join the Rangers (IF you can pass the training and intelligence). Spend a couple of nights in January above treeline on Mt Washington --no tent. Race motocross on powerlines. Get really macho, not Darwin Award things like Jacka$$ 101 with a tool.

4. Many of us have gone through easily available professional chainsaw and H.E. training to get a job done efficiently, quickly and safely. "Don't need no training" ? Then sign the contract that public funds will NOT
be expended to save your skin. But don't brag with pics and faux disclaimers that you're "competent" or a "pro".
Training: CLP (Certified Logging Professional)
GOL (Game of Logging) Not a "game".
Both available in many areas in N. America.

5. Take a look at fatality rates in trades...and why. You prefer to drive your truck or car without any of the technologies that save your kids' lives ? Fine. Disable them....but don't expect our money to pay for you.

6. So standing on an unsteady pile cutting below your feet is competent ? Do you do your so-called arborist work from a ladder ? :red:

That's it. Dismissed.

SolarAndWood said:
mtcates said:

Isn't that the truth. I know many people who do things I would never dare to do, and some who would sit on the sidelines and never attempt anything with any degree of danger in it. I guess I fall in between. Heck cleaning a chimney without fall arrest gear, If you do fall you are much more likely to loose your life or get seriously injured falling off a house then me off the top of a wood stack. I bet most everyone here cleans their chimney without a harness and fall arrest. I would bet very few professional chimney sweeps use fall arrest. We look at different situations and make the decision to take an acceptable risk. We all do that, and our perception can be skewed by a false sense of security, such as the example I just mentioned.

Am I missing something here? Why did you need to stand on the stacks to reach the top rows anyway? It's kinda hard to judge, but from the pics I'd guess those stacks were maybe 6' high? Why not just stand on any stable object 2' or so feet high to get the top rows & continue down while standing on the ground?
BTW I use a harness when cleaning my chimney. Didn't use fall-arrest lanyard last time though, just short-roped at about 2' since I didn't need to move around. It takes about 5 mins to put on & hook up once or twice a year & might save me a 25' fall. I have done my share of stupid/dangerous things in my life though.

mtcates said:
SolarAndWood said:
mtcates said:

Isn't that the truth. I know many people who do things I would never dare to do, and some who would sit on the sidelines and never attempt anything with any degree of danger in it. I guess I fall in between. Heck cleaning a chimney without fall arrest gear, If you do fall you are much more likely to loose your life or get seriously injured falling off a house then me off the top of a wood stack. I bet most everyone here cleans their chimney without a harness and fall arrest. I would bet very few professional chimney sweeps use fall arrest. We look at different situations and make the decision to take an acceptable risk. We all do that, and our perception can be skewed by a false sense of security, such as the example I just mentioned.

No to the first, and not true for the second mis-perception. Stihl justifying a dumb move ?

Repeat: 3. You really want the adrenaline of danger ? Want to really put yourself in harm’s way ? Do a night jump. Climb @ a 5.10 rated rock face. Join the Rangers (IF you can pass the training and intelligence). Spend a couple of nights in January above treeline on Mt Washington—no tent. Race motocross on powerlines. Get really macho, not Darwin Award things like Jacka$$ 101 with a tool.

...and brag about it. Stihl. Done.

Oh yeah: I'm hearin' those dueling banjos.....real loud now. :lol:

First off, you can ask me to tell you about doing things that you thought were acceptably safe... :-/

Next you can ALL remember that we expect everyone to behave with reasonable politeness around here - something that seems to have gone by the wayside in this thread...

Finally, since it seems that other than the debate about whether or not the OP's activities were safe or not, which has degenerated considerably, there isn't much useful content here, so this thread is now closed...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.