Firing the EKO 40 the first time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary S

Jun 18, 2008
Southwestern Wisconsin
Well I guess the time has come. I'm going the fire the EKO 40 for the first time after work today. I did the install it top to bottom, it was a lot of work. I got many tips from Dave at Cozy Heat and a lot of advice I read on this forum. I would like to say thanks to one and all.

I have no storage and am heating the DHW with a side arm and the house with force air. The boiler is in an out building. If anyone has any tip or suggestions I would appreciate it.

Take pictures! I'm jealous. I'm still a few weeks away from firing up. Did you adjust your air settings? Of all the reading I've done on this site it seems that is something a lot of people miss before the first fire.

Don't get discouraged...it may not work exactly right the first time. Don't touch any of your air settings until you've burned for a few days and talked to Dave first. Light your furnace with a propane torch - it makes it easy to light. Mine has been on line for 12 days now...we only lit it on the first day (its been going since). Once the unit gets burning, it almost runs itself. Most of all, enjoy it - since you did everything yourself, you should feel great about what you did and be sure to take the time to enjoy the free heat you are making for you and your family. Good luck!

I'm jealous too! I am still about three weeks away from fire up. I have a hole in the floor where my old furnace and supply plenum used to be. I spent 12 hours yesterday relocating the HWT and hot/cold piping and installing the sidearm. My garage and attached boiler room looks like a bomb hit it and I can't find ANYTHING!
Oh well, at least we still have the woodstove to keep the place warm - sorta.

Good Luck!

Find and use the one page cheat sheet from the new manual ....

Make sure the pump is connected and works before lighting the fire.
Check the fan cover opening and set to specified % open as shown in manual

Get a good little fire going before loading the big chunks of wood and remember to close the damper and turn on the controller.

Instead of gasification you may get smokification like I did where the fire burns but don't get the secondary burn in the bottom chamber.I was told it's the moisture in the refractory materials, and after it burned for a few hours it went into gasification . I did later adjust the air intakes a little now it will begin gasification within 5 minutes or so as long as I get a good fire going before loading too much wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.