firm believer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lock&load

Jan 19, 2006
east windsor ct
well after 6 days without power and trying to keep the kids warm with firewood in the downstairs of our raised ranch [ps with no running water ] i managed to get a generato 6250 startup and 5000 cont 60 sine wave ,back up stairs were the stove is it was 39drg latter that night the whole upstairs was 67 and in the far bedroom it was 62 that room is down a 27 ft hall all this was after about 4 1/2 hr ,the only thing i forgot to do was to fill the bathtub all the way to flush the toyiot,lost power last sat at 9pm came back on tonight at 10.43 sorry forgot to add the stove is a p-43 PS a bunch of fools running this state

I think he's just saying the woodstove (I assume he wasn't burning firewood without a FP or stove) did not help him heat the house while he was out of power. He got ahold of a generator after 6 days without power, and his house went from 39 degrees in the house to 67 upstairs. He is happy. Lot's of frustrated people in CT. I fortunately did not lose power this time somehow, but I was equally as frustrated during Hurricane Irene. It was not cold at the time, so I consider myself lucky to have lost it during the first storm. My guess is in Alaska a generator is something everyone has. We used to not lose power around here and people are not equipped. I haven't lost power in the winter, with the exception of 1 time for 2 days, in 21 years.

lock&load; said:
well after 6 days without power and trying to keep the kids warm with firewood in the downstairs of our raised ranch [ps with no running water ] i managed to get a generato 6250 startup and 5000 cont 60 sine wave ,back up stairs were the stove is it was 39drg latter that night the whole upstairs was 67 and in the far bedroom it was 62 that room is down a 27 ft hall all this was after about 4 1/2 hr ,the only thing i forgot to do was to fill the bathtub all the way to flush the toyiot,lost power last sat at 9pm came back on tonight at 10.43 sorry forgot to add the stove is a p-43 PS a bunch of fools running this state

Yes on the bunch of fools but some of them aren't the ones running the state.

I hope this is a sign that my son in law will be able to come home and get some sleep.

Chunk, when you say last Saturday, are you talking about 11/5 or did you meant 10/29?

If you're talking 10/29, the all I can say is "wow" and sorry to hear.

I grew up in CT, and have to say, I strongly don't care for the state.......no offense to any present residents.

Glad you're back on the grid and can get back to normalcy.

yes i mean 10/29 and yes i was a fool for not being ready that has been taken care of now and yes i hope your son in law comes home soon ,all the out of state crews have done a great job

Living Maine the last five years I've been subject to more power failures than when I lived in Mass for over 40 years!! I decided two year ago to get an 8,000 watt generator with the Gen-Tran switch and most recently got a 2,000 watt inverter genny to run the TV/Sat Dish and pellet stove.

I'm not going to be subject to the whims of the power company anymore, whether or not it's their fault. Be prepared!! Don't count on anyone else for your survival and comfort I say.

lock&load; said:

What brand/model generator and how does the stove run on it?

I'm looking at getting a Generac GP7500E or similar.

Bank said:
Living Maine the last five years I've been subject to more power failures than when I lived in Mass for over 40 years!! I decided two year ago to get an 8,000 watt generator with the Gen-Tran switch and most recently got a 2,000 watt inverter genny to run the TV/Sat Dish and pellet stove.

I'm not going to be subject to the whims of the power company anymore, whether or not it's their fault. Be prepared!! Don't count on anyone else for your survival and comfort I say.

Do you have to have a inverter generator to run pellet stove or just regular generator? Haven't had to yet but thought if needed I would run it on my 6000 Honda.

Ya know, I'm not much of an expert on the gennys. But my friends told me not to use my Generac for TVs and anything with a mother board or sensitive electronics. So I got a B&S 2,000 watt inverter for the TV and Harman.

iam running a pure 60 sine wave generator plus a surge protecter, i think other members iam sure will chim in on thati know i have a gen ,but long term iam looking at a small deisel gen can get it for $5000. and the hell with the laws iam going to put it along side the house ;-) so i can tap into the 275gal oil tank for a good long run 10kw will power the whole house

Not so much that everyone here has a gen set, just that many people are setup do go without power for at least a few days. Backup heat source, candles/lanterns, water stored in jugs, etc. Lot of places in this state that don't have a power grid and HAVE to depend on gen sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.