Firsrt fire of the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Well Summer is finally coming to a close.

The house has been in the low to mid 60F all day.

Just too cool after last week needing the AC every day and into the eavening.

Checked the Prodigy out today at lunch and decided that tonight I am going to build a little fire in the stove, at least for a while to take the chill off.

The shoulder season has arrived.

Another month and we will be into the thick of it again.

Ahhhh yess, the stove season.

Snowy

Stoked up a fire as I said I would and OHHHHHHHHH it felt sooooooooooo good.

We had dinner and watched the flickering little fire burning away in the stove.
It was just 70f in the house at bedtime so we decided to let the little stove run through the night.

I got up at 3 am (normal pit stop) and checked the stove, all was well.

Got up this morning at 5am and put the coffee on and then went and checked th stove.

Gave the pot a quicky swish to remove the clinker and then set the fed on 2 to allow the vent to heat up good.

Back on low now and the house is about 72f.

Unless things stay cool today ??? (supposed to rain ??? ) I may have to shut the stove off for a while during the mid day.

Last week at this time the temps were in the mid 90f outside andthe AC was running periodically through the night even. Not no more for sure.

The forcast is for low 70F with showers/cloudy off an on for the week.

Was really sort of nice to get back into the groove, so to speak.

Went downstairs last eavening and had to sort though a few drums of shells to find where I had stuck the plastic scoop and the screen bottom bucket that I use to shake out the shells.

For you newbies here, I burn Hazelnut shells in my stoves and they must be screened to be sure that there are no large sticks ot other debris that will jam the auger.

Took a few minutes and then found my tools. Sort of ODD after all these months of not needing any heat, to have to pack up a pail of shells and build a fire.

Hope all you Pellet piggy's are ready for the Loooong cold one and that your stores of fuel are ready to go.

I will not be able to get shells until late October to early November som time.

Then its a real game to try and beat the weather, get a dry day and run out to the nut plant and get a truck full of shells and get them packed into the basement.

Later troops

Snowy

i grew up and lived in oregon all my life till two years ago. turning 50 in two weeks.
i wonder how many people know that hazlenuts are called filberts there.

have a nice toasty winter. :)

aha so thats what a filbert is? yeh this weather is nuts. 8 days ago we had 110 degree heat indexs, 2 nights ago it was 39. wonder what kind of winter were are in store for.

We call them things Filberts, but the rest of the country is used to Hazelnut.

Looks like we wont have a fire tonight, at least so it looks right now.

The weather through this next week is back into the 70's and low 80's F

I still have some work outside that needs doing yet, so this is a good thing.

Was sort of cozy to have the fire all last night.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.