First Ash Removal Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TresK3

Jul 12, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I just cleaned the ash out of our FPX-33 Elite for the first time. I've burned two small fires and one large/long fire. There was a lot of fine white ash, but also a fair amount of charcoal left, which concerns me. If I understand correctly, a good fire should burn everything down to ash, with very little charcoal left over. Yes? Or is this normal? If not normal, what should I do?

I'm burning wood that was cut and stacked when I bought the house. It was covered with tarps, but I don't know what type of wood or how long it had been there. Probably a hard wood, based on the trees on our property. The wood certainly seems well seasoned; in fact it may be a bit past its prime (I threw all the questionable wood in a pile for the outdoor hot-dog cooker).

Oh... I almost forgot; the blower issue is still unresolved. Don't know if the lack of a blower would make much difference in how completely the wood burns. The dealer/installer thought I wasn't burning hot enough and long enough for the blower to kick on. After the last fire, I'm sure that isn't the case. He's checking on parts for the T-stat and will come out in a few days.

Tanks,
Tres

So far this season I've burned (if I had to guess) -

3 days burning 24*7
3 overnight burns
6 misc. full loads burned

I've not had to empty my ash once, nor am I even close to needing to do so. I've probably got a good 3/4" of ash in the bottom of my insert, which is good, because it acts as insulation and gives me longer burns, and keeps my coals from going out to quick.

I also have some small chunks of charcoal, but I don't know if there's any way to burn it all completely every time, unless you are just burning raging fires. I think every burn some of the old chunks burn up and I get some new ones. When I finally need to empty my ash, I'm guaranteed to have some small chunks, but nothing that I've ever been worried about.

Now, if you are ending up with large chunks of charred wood, I think you probably have an issue, as that to me says you're not getting a good "end" burn.

That is called (new stove owner) %-P Must keep it clean. :red:

ditto on the link Frog. I'll certainly give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.