First big score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2009
Central WI
My old boss was cutting down 24 jack pines around his house that were starting to pose a danger. He said there were all small and he thought he had about a cord in total. This is what I ended up with when all was said and done. Also, another friend at work called this weekend and wanted to get rid of a dead stand, so we filled up the back of my S-10 with some oak as well.

Now I just need to get a stove. Hauled the old one out on Sunday.

Attachments

• pine.jpg
    pine.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 514
NIce score for a first score. Looks more like a cord and more to me. Enjoy.

Looks like you found some logs to work on! Nice!

Really nice score, I could use a load of pine like that.

Adios Pantalones said:
That's a lot more than a cord. More than 2 cord- maybe 3.

Hard to tell from the angle, but I think you're close. Wouldn't be surprised if that topped out at 3 cords once split and stacked.

Adios Pantalones said:
That's a lot more than a cord. More than 2 cord- maybe 3.

+1 (looks like lots more than a cord)
Great score.
Now you can have some fun.

You must be pretty serious about wanting to get into burning wood. Did I read that right? You don't have a stove yet? I'll be honest, I like your style.
Get it split/stacked and started drying. You're really moving in the right direction.

A cord is just what he told me he had before he cut it down. I am not good at judging, but I have guess it is a minimum of 2 cords. If you look at the background you can see the cab of my S-10 peeking out, for reference, it is parked directly behind the stack.

Quads - yup, I finally found my logs.

rsgBJJburner - you read that right, don't have a stove yet. Last fall when I starting looking for a stove everyone on the forum said they had problems when they first started out not having seasoned wood, so I have been trying to get ahead. Hope to get a stove in the next month or so and then start burning in the fall.

Nice score, that Jack Pine will be good for the shoulder seasons or to mix in with the Oak.

Funny thing... Today I picked up the first of what will be four or five half ton loads of pine. It was the first call from the wood service I set up with a few weeks ago.... I figured as much as I would rather not burn pine/spruce/etc I don't want to be picky when I have such a good thing starting. The really cool thing is that the wood is ten minutes from my house, it is stacked neatly where I am picking it up and it is clean as clean can be.

Here's to wood scrounged and scoring!

Status
Not open for further replies.