1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

first bird of the season.....

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ScotO, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Boa69

Boa69 New Member

Loc:
    LI. NY.
    I usually get sparrows.one time one flew threw the flames his wings were smoking but he survived.scared the crap out of me though.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    A few years ago my wife and I were in the hot tub watching a squirrel with a nut or some sort of food running just a few feet in front of a crow who kept hopping behind him at a respectful distance. The squirrel kept stopping and looking at the crow who would stop and wait. Finally, the squirrel stopped and buried the food item before running away. The crow waited a bit, looked around to make sure the squirrel wasn't coming back and then calmly hopped over to where the squirrel had buried the food and dug it up.
    ScotO and rideau like this.
  3. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    I recall when walking the old skidded trails and back roads when grouse hunting it seemedlike If the crows flew over and I raised the shotgun, they would swing way off to one side or the other over the treeline. Far enough away to be beyond shotgun range. I used to think I was imagining it but a friend recently described a documentary on crows - several experiments that were done which demonstrated how intelligent they really are. They learn who / what they can trust, and they teach their offspring. Pretty amazing. Too bad they won't STFU at 5:00 in the morning...
  4. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    Now THAT would get my heart started...
  5. Boa69

Boa69 New Member

Loc:
    LI. NY.
    Haha yah I had just started the fire.I opened the door to check it and he flew out thru the flames he was smoking.i opened the door and he flew out.
  6. Comanche79p

Comanche79p New Member

Here is my first bird of the season (this morning) with a bow. Part of it is headed to the crockpot.

Attached Files:

bag of hammers and ScotO like this.
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Congrats! Nothing like taking a spring gobbler with a bow. Our season in PA hasn't started yet, where are you located Comanche?
  8. Freeheat

Freeheat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West of Cleveland
    A few years ago went to my dads house and he just turned on the gas log fireplace when a flying squirl fell out and rolled under the couch. Thats a thrill ! Picked him up with gloves and tossed him out the door, wasn't there when I left so he must have woken back up.
    ScotO likes this.
  9. Comanche79p

Comanche79p New Member

Western Kansas where the state tree is a telephone pole.
    ScotO likes this.