First break-in burn on Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

derecskey

Jun 25, 2008
Geauga, OH
Well, I just took advantage of some cooler weather this evening to open some windows and bake some paint. Fire lit well, after 30 minutes began toying with the air inlet, turned the blower on (whoa, blower throws a LOT of heat relative to not having the blower on).

My firebox is only 1.6 cu ft. Ok, I can see how a bigger box would be nice. But I think I can get by. For experimental sake, I grabbed an extra long log. I forgot to measure how long it was before shoving it in, but it fit. It was MUCH longer than the 16" log that followed (remembered to measure that one).

Using a double pythagorean, I figured out that the firebox could in theory accept 23" logs on the double-diagonal, despite being rated for 18".

One wouldn't want to do this regularly, but it's nice to be able to handle some long stuff.

Buck 21. I'll have to see in winter if the 1.6 cu ft box is appropriately sized for the area to be heated in a way that keeps the flue nice and clean. My other choice was a 1.5x more expensive PE Vista that was rated for a bit more house.

Status
Not open for further replies.