First Break in Fire in the Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdNH

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2009
Southern, NH
Had a nice cool-ER dry day yestarday. (heck it was in the high 40s this morning) so i figured now was a great time to have that first break in fire. Happy I did it while it was still warm enough to have the windows and doors open. First time running a cast iron stove. definitly takes longer to warm up then a steel stove but definitly radiates the heat longer as well. only got it up to 200 for the first fire. but it was putting off heat long after the fire died out.

Supposed to be 95 tommarow, so im not sure when the next break in fire will be.

As you can see the dog seems to like it
20120829_201026 (Custom).jpg 20120829_195758 (Custom).jpg

Reactions: PA Fire Bug and zap
I bet that becomes his (dog) favorite spot this winter,, nice set up to. Did she smoke alot?

KUDOS!

Very nice look ColdNH.
zap

That turned out phenomenal! Congrats on the stove I'm sure you will love it!

Thanks guys, going to have to get used to the side loading door, the front door almost seems useless.

Congrats on the Oslo, I'm very bias towards them as well. I can imagine with where you live you will be firing that stove up well before most folks. I like the look of the install, very clean and comfy looking. And the dog will have his/her new favorite cold weather spot...enjoy!

Mighty sharp.

Sweet! I love the look of a Jotul on the hearth.

So I am really starting to like this stove though it definitely has a much steeper learning curve then the napoleon 1450 I used to have. I used to be able to close the air completely on that stove and go to bed knowing the fire would still be going properly, On the oslo it seems I need to leave the air 1/4 of the way open? which makes me wonder if I have it open too much or not enough. (my wood is not ideal either) burning 1 year seasoned maple and cherry right now.

I find the ash falling out the front door extremely annoying. It won’t be an issue once im burning 24/7 as I will be using the side door, but in the shoulder season, I am building lots of fires from a cold stove, and its awkward to build them through the side door, and every time I open the front door I get a nice mess to clean up.

I also discovered I have about 7 cord of split and stacked wood that is cut too short 16-18" lengths were great with the other stove, but leave a nice 6-8 inches of un-used space in the oslo.

overall I love the stove, this morning waking up to a house that was 68 degrees with a few splits of maple and cherry last night that filled the fire box maybe 65% of the way gave me confidence that this stove will keep the house plenty warm come February. Plus the stove is beautiful and the cast iron radiates the heat much much longer then the steel stove.

Very nice setup.

Reactions: ColdNH
Status
Not open for further replies.