First burn in new Oslo last night...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eightpilot

Jul 2, 2008
Northern WI
Had my first break-in fire last night. Kept it between 200-250F for a few hours and didn't smell too much. Maybe when it gets a hotter temp it will smell more. My draft was excellent even with the warm temps outside. I did have to crack the ashpan door for awhile until it got going better. I only had a few pieces of kindling and a half of a 4" round in there for the low temp burn. I am hoping that when you get more wood and hotter temps the ashpan air will not be needed to start. Overall the view was spectacular and I was pleased so far. Here's a couple of pics guys... 8

Attachments

• Fire.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 567
eightpilot said:
Had my first break-in fire last night. Kept it between 200-250F for a few hours and didn't smell too much. Maybe when it gets a hotter temp it will smell more. My draft was excellent even with the warm temps outside. I did have to crack the ashpan door for awhile until it got going better. I only had a few pieces of kindling and a half of a 4" round in there for the low temp burn. I am hoping that when you get more wood and hotter temps the ashpan air will not be needed to start. Overall the view was spectacular and I was pleased so far. Here's a couple of pics guys... 8

That is pretty!

Nice burn!! The enameled Jotuls have hardly any break in smoke. You'll get a little when you get it over 500 for the first time, but very minor and that's about it.

For starting, leave the door ajar about 1/4" until the kindling is burning well and the stovetop temp is starting to rise.

I will give that a try next time... Thanks.

Attachments

• Fire 1.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 473
Next time we'll get her up another 100 degrees... 8

Attachments

• Fire 2.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 433
Move that thermometer closer to the flue over the firebox and I think you'll get a higher reading. It looks more like 300 from the pics. Secondary burn is just starting to kick in.

I will move them a little closer in next time. I hope I didn't get it too hot for the first burn??

Your fine I'm sure. I did a couple burns a day when I broke the Castine in. But that was September.

Nice pics, and good first burn. BG's right about leaving the door cracked during initial startup....makes a big difference. Once it gets up to 250-300, you're usually good to close the door at that point.

Ahhh brings back memories.......My first break-in was watching the Sox make history vs the Yanks in the ALCS
in 2004......savor the moment!

WoodButcher

Hey, that's my stove right there!

Now, I don't want to make any waves, but my manual says to put my thermometer where you have yours, and that's where I had mine during breakin fires, and is where I keep mine when burning.

I leave my side door open until the thermometer reaches 250+ then close it...... closing it too soon just results in opening it up again :)

I had a black liquid flux bubble out on breakin, not the first breakin, but I think maybe the third, when I got the temps up. It came out of the bottom side edge and dripped on the brick hearth, I was alarmed, however, when it burned off it was over with and never did so again.

Keep an eye on the air control slide valve, sticking, difficulty sliding back and forth has been an issue, hopefully corrected now. I removed the dog box on the inside of the stove and put powdered graphite on mine a couple times during the first season of burning.

I also re-did some stove cement inside, along the right and left seams where the sides meet the bottom of the stove, it had loosened during the first season and I simply went and got some rutlands stove cement, dug out the loose stuff, and re-did it.

My Jotul Oslo heated our 2200+ sq. ft. home last winter just fine!

You got yourself a nice stove.

Great looking fire.
Looks like you are getting secondary burn @ 250* (that is good).

I will try leaving the side door open for awhile next time to help feed the startup. I am just happy that its drafting well. I was worried about the horizontal flue collar not giving me a good draft, but this thing is working just great. I does seem like even with the air slider all the way open that it just doesn't flow much air. But I guess thats how you keep the stove efficient, by not running a ton of air through it. Am I right in thinking this? I heard these Jotuls will only flow 25-30 cfm throught the intake on the bottom rear. I can't wait to get more familiar with operation this winter... 8

P.S. Here's a pic of my 90 elbow connecting the back of the stove to the new 6" rigid liner. I don't have much of a horizontal run, so the draft is better then I thought.

Attachments

• Install 015.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 348
Heck, if you are getting decent draft now, when the cold temps hit, you should be golden.

And to the prior post: yes, the flame at the top of the box is the secondary burn starting to kick in.

Jay777 said:
Is the secondary burn the flames up at the top in the second image?

Yup!

Status
Not open for further replies.