First burn of season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hossthehermit

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Maine, ayuh, by gorry
Touched her off this morning, damp and raw here, been running oil the last couple days, started off with a bag of the Corinth hardwood, gotta say, not happy about the dust flying out of the hopper. Threw a bag of the Strong (Maine Choice) in on top to lay the dust, they seem to be a nice looking pellet. Took pics of pellets, flames, etc'. Just gotta figger out how to put 'em on here, again.
Ran a couple hours on manual swithched over to the 'stat a bit ago, all seems well w/the world at the moment. The cocktail flag is out.

P1040088.jpg

See if this works

Hey Hoss,

Good to see your posts again this year. I am starting out on cherry pits this year. It has been cold here since the 1st of October. I plan on trying some corn when the whether gets colder.

Did you end up with much surface rust in the burn chamber over the summer?

maacac said:
Hey Hoss,

Good to see your posts again this year. I am starting out on cherry pits this year. It has been cold here since the 1st of October. I plan on trying some corn when the whether gets colder.

Did you end up with much surface rust in the burn chamber over the summer?

YES, pissed me right off w/ the surface rust in there. Took the Dremel to it with a wire brush, cleaned up OK, but kinda wondering what approach to take next year. Soak 'er down good with used Harley oil in the spring, I guess. On the other hand, first startup was basically flawless, so can't groan too much, I suppose. Keep us posted on the cherry pits if ya can, I can't seem to find 'em around here.

We actually got the pits directly from the local cherry processing plant and dried them ourselves. So the cost was a bit of fuel and a bit of sweat this summer!!

They don't have the BTU's of pellets or corn, but work well down to about 20-25 degrees.

As far as the rust, when I noticed it this summer, I sprayed PAM on it. Don't know if it helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.