First burn of the season is underway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I fired up the stove and it is sooo beautiful outside in the high 50's today and into the 30's tonight. This makes me so happy !

Pete
Lucky SOB! :) My stove is still sitting on a pallet and probably will be for the next 3 weeks.....

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Patchy frost forecast for tonight here. I'll probably start a small fire to see if I still remember how.

We're trying here pete, just not cold enough inside yet. I'm hoping tomorrow night, since the temps will be in the low 40's. Crazy but yesterday it was 71 and my one neighbor had his going.....

It was down to 32 deg at 4:30 this morning. I Built a small fire to take the chill off and by 3:00PM the fireview was still 250 degrees and all the windows had to be open. I love this time of year.

40's in MO tonight and I just lit my all rebuilt totally pimped out 264CCL on the 2nd floor. Burning like a champ but the paint fumes smoked up the the 2nd and 3rd floor for about 20 minutes. Glad shoulder season is arriving!!!

Been in the 40s at night here for several weeks. Some mornings its been in the 30s. We'll have snow on the ground in 2-3 weeks I'd expect.

Nate I want snow so bad right now we are sick of the extreme heat ! It was a record breaking summer everyday for three months straight for heat over here. The cold is so nice and welcome !

Pete

Reactions: gmule and ScotO
Nate I want snow so bad right now we are sick of the extreme heat ! It was a record breaking summer everyday for three months straight for heat over here. The cold is so nice and welcome !

Pete

I'm with you, will not fire up the stove until the walls chill down! After this Hot summer I want it cold!

Here's a pix for ya! SNOW!!!!
View attachment 74288

Attachments

• SSPX0113.jpg
    SSPX0113.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 165
I'm toying with the notion of firing up the ol' 1900p this weekend, with lows in the upper 30's being forecast. Trouble is I recently remodeled our home, and went all-out on the insulation...........that house takes FOREVER to chill down. We'll see what happens.

Ugh we had freaking tropical weather here. Overnight low of 70 with thunderstorms and 50mph wind gusts.

I WANT some cold. Right after I get one more dry weekend to finish the exterior painting.

Reactions: ScotO
have a fire in the stove this morning. Woke up to 40::F outside and 67::F. I thought I would have a small re-learning curve with my second season but it's just like riding a bike.

fv

I figure I have at least a good month before I light up. 68f in the house this morning, ideal for me.

As much as I love the winter and snow . . . I can wait to fire up the stove . . . sure it has some appeal during this time of year . . . I would be lying if I didn't say it was a bit fun to fire it up during this time of year . . . but usually by the end of April or May the "fun" of starting a fire has lost a bit of its appeal.

. . . plus I still have a bunch of things I want to do around the house . . . including putting on a new roof which I just discovered this past weekend when I discovered that my so-called 30-year shingles are losing their top coat of granules after 17 years or so.

As much as I love the winter and snow . . . I can wait to fire up the stove . . . sure it has some appeal during this time of year . . . I would be lying if I didn't say it was a bit fun to fire it up during this time of year . . . but usually by the end of April or May the "fun" of starting a fire has lost a bit of its appeal.

. . . plus I still have a bunch of things I want to do around the house . . . including putting on a new roof which I just discovered this past weekend when I discovered that my so-called 30-year shingles are losing their top coat of granules after 17 years or so.
X2, No rush here to fire up. Burning 24/7 all winter loses its appeal right about February.

I am sick of it by Christmas. :confused:

Woke up this morning and the house down to 70 inside.. It is forecast to get colder outside tonight so i may fire the stove up tonight.

Glad it is working out good for you.

One of my favorite pictures of my kids is one of them sitting around the woodstove on a cold late-December morning eating their breakfast. You're right Pete........it isn't the same without a warm, cozy fire around Christmastime. I don't get tired of burning in the woodstove til around April. That's when I've had enough. And that's about when we start cooking outside on the ol' keyhole pit on a weekly basis!

I figure I have at least a good month before I light up. 68f in the house this morning, ideal for me.

It would be fine for me but not for Mrs. FV. Below 73::Fand she's cold.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.