First burn of the season...seeing puffs of smoke inside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
After having all the problems I did last year, I spent time over the summer making sure everything was good to go as much as possible.

I replaced the gasket around the griddle. Cleaned out the ash pan and burn chamber. Swept the chimney/pipe. Also stacked and put a tarp over my wood. Not only stacked but did the alternating rows method where you turn them 90degrees every other row to allow more air flow. But I digress...

I just started it about an hour ago. Took a single match to get going. It was great!!

And it got hot right away as soon as the chimney heated up.

However, I've been keeping a close eye on it and a few minutes ago I noticed a VERY faint puff of smoke blow out of the elbow and griddle. My hunch is that, because I forgot to take a needle and empty/clean the 5 little holes on the rear surface of the burn chamber, maybe that's preventing proper air flow in the stove itself and allowing things to build up. But it doesn't explain the puff coming out of the elbow.

Now this is the first burn. So it's still warm enough outside that we wouldn't freeze to death by shutting it down for a day or two...I was planning it anyway. But what are some thoughts on what I'm seeing??

My plan is to let this load burn out. Then tonight or tomorrow morning I'll take a look in the thimble (which, again was super clean!)...maybe the summer heat melted some excess and caused some sort of disk/blockage...does that happen?

EDIT: By the way, since noticing the puffs I've kept the flue open and it seems to be ok.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Last edited:
Now I'm even more perplexed!

Tonight after dinner I went out just to check the t-joint and make sure the chimney was clear. I took off the bottom cap and about a pound of creosote (loose) fell to the ground!!

Then I swept the whole pipe up to the cap and a bunch more came out.

I don't understand. I swept it the last week of burning for last season and obviously since swept it hasn't been used. So I'll ask it again, how is the creosote, both loose and any possible blockages....possible??

Thanks

-Emt1581

In my opinion it looks like you didn't do too good of a job sweeping. During the summer it dried out and fell down.

Sounds like there was a glaze of creosote in the pipe that wouldn't brush out last time and over the summer it dried and flaked off.

Sounds like there was a glaze of creosote in the pipe that wouldn't brush out last time and over the summer it dried and flaked off.

I didn't know that could happen. Let's say it's in the middle of burn season, how do you harden up or otherwise remove that glaze?

Thanks

-Emt1581

First thing you need to do, and do it every time you brush, is get a look inside that pipe. From the top down or with a flashlight up from the bottom.

First thing you need to do, and do it every time you brush, is get a look inside that pipe. From the top down or with a flashlight up from the bottom.

Will do, but again, if there is a glazing that doesn't come off no matter how many times you brush up and down...what then??

Thanks

-Emt1581

Hard glaze usually requires a chemical treatment to loosen it. Done in two to three steps by a chimney sweep. Some people have good luck using the stuff you put on the fire to soften it though. First thing is to know if or if not there is a glaze in the pipe.

Hard glaze usually requires a chemical treatment to loosen it. Done in two to three steps by a chimney sweep. Some people have good luck using the stuff you put on the fire to soften it though. First thing is to know if or if not there is a glaze in the pipe.

I'm usually a do-it-yourselfer, however if we're talking about a chemical process that it just wouldn't be financially sound to do on an individual basis, I'll spring for a sweep. As for identifying a glaze, is it just a slick/shiny looking coat instead of the dull look of the pipe or what?

Also, what are the chemicals you were referring to? Thanks

-Emt1581

Glaze will be somewhat shiny. With yours it will be obvious because it probably didn't all fall out so patches will be visable. The do it your self stuff is stuff like Anti-Creo-Soot or Rutland's Creosote Remover. They aren't magic and you have to use them with several small fires over time to soften the stuff. They do not remove the stuff, they just make it where you can brush the stuff out.

Glaze will be somewhat shiny. With yours it will be obvious because it probably didn't all fall out so patches will be visable. The do it your self stuff is stuff like Anti-Creo-Soot or Rutland's Creosote Remover. They aren't magic and you have to use them with several small fires over time to soften the stuff. They do not remove the stuff, they just make it where you can brush the stuff out.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!!

I think what I'll do tomorrow is go out and take a better look to see i there are patches or anything left inside. If there is, I'll try sweeping again and then if I still see it I'll call the sweep.

Now for the last question...how do I keep it from happening again?

Thanks again!

-Emt1581

Hot fires with dry wood.

The dry chemical from Rutland worked well for me. I started using it last season after I went up on the roof to install my 2nd insert and saw some shiny tar-like creosote on the screen for number 1. I used the chemical several times last season and when I went up to sweep, I found that all of the shiny tar-like creosote had been converted to the crumbly easy to remove stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.