first burn of the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesj

Feb 16, 2009
Western MD
We're having an unusually wet/cool summer in my area. It was down in the low 40's last night. Had to fire up the stove to get the chill out of the house.

yikes!

still heating my room with a combination of xbox, tv, pc and stereo amp.
i'm hoping to hold out till late september.

but best laid plans of mice and men...

Reactions: gbreda
I use the cool nights to bring the house temp down so i dont have to use the AC when its 80+ during the day. Was 48 here last night,still 75 in the house.

Thank you for the compliment;) ...How has the fishing been this year??

We've done pretty well. Put some decent fish in the boat so far. Still looking for the giants, But I got a brute 2 weeks ago. As the water is cooling, The bigger ones are coming out to play! ;)

20inch 4-12 LMB.jpg

20 inch 4 pound 12 ounce.

Reactions: ScotO and Eatonpcat
Running the stove in August??? Hell no. It could be in the 20's and I'm still not running it yet. It's a matter of principle.

Reactions: 343amc
Running the stove in August??? Hell no. It could be in the 20's and I'm still not running it yet. It's a matter of principle.
You must not be married, Don't matter what month it is if it's in the 20's my Honey is gonna be WTF why ain't the stove on!!!

My wife would shoot me if I attempted to light the stove right now!
I hear ya bud. But I bet if it was 20* out right now and you didn't have that Harman on she'd shoot you:pafter you started the stove;)

Reactions: ScotO and Eatonpcat
Its cold inside when the long hair Newfs get up on the bed and snuggle in. We had below freezing temps in the state this week. Mid 40s here. Got the house temp to 61 with day time high of only 67. Next week 90s ? Have only used the AC for 5 days this year.

yikes!

still heating my room with a combination of xbox, tv, pc and stereo amp.
i'm hoping to hold out till late september.

but best laid plans of mice and men...

Plasma TV and 5 channel amp at 200W per channel....that's my heating source right now !

I upgraded the idiot box and amp this spring and now use less than half the electricity and don't have to have a AC in the room in the summer.
Plasma TV and 5 channel amp at 200W per channel....that's my heating source right now !

I hear ya bud. But I bet if it was 20* out right now and you didn't have that Harman on she'd shoot you:pafter you started the stove;)
Ha! You're probably right. I can never win anyway.

X3.....wrong or right I subscribe to the theory of cleaning the stove right before the season begins. IMHO, it doesn't harm my Harman (hehe) to have the ash in it. That way it doesn't rust from the humidity and I don't need any desiccant bags like some others do. Also, if any foreign objects or critters get in the venting, they will be discovered and evicted. This method has worked for me as I enter my 18th season of pellet stove ownership.

Believe me when I say that I wasn't happy. I still had about 1/4 bag of pellets in the hopper- like some of the other slackers here, I haven't cleaned it yet:)

I wasn't going to fire it up, but the kids and wife were tired of being cold. Hopefully I can keep it off until the end of September. This last week was unusually cold- even for Mountain Maryland.

Reactions: DexterDay
Believe me when I say that I wasn't happy. I still had about 1/4 bag of pellets in the hopper- like some of the other slackers here, I haven't cleaned it yet:)

I wasn't going to fire it up, but the kids and wife were tired of being cold. Hopefully I can keep it off until the end of September. This last week was unusually cold- even for Mountain Maryland.

Who the fuk are you callin' a slacker??? Ahhh maybe you're right, but I am gonna get to it soon!! ;)

This week I've had night temps in the upper 30's... not turning on the heat.. the daytime heat warms things up..

It's gonna be 89 and humid this coming week, we got a way to go boys, old on there....

Who the fuk are you callin' a slacker??? Ahhh maybe you're right, but I am gonna get to it soon!! ;)

Soon? In a month or so you'll be using it again! Yep, admit it your a Slacker! :p

From what they say, Ash acts like damprid(absorbs moisture). I have heard a few say they are letting it ride and will clean just before they need to fire it up again. Wonder how many have tried this? I wanna be a slacker too, If it doesn't do any harm cause I'm lazy! ;em

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Status
Not open for further replies.