first burn of the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well fired up the eko 25 for the first time this year tonight. new gasket is installed and stopping the stink which is good god I love not hearing the furnace not kicking in when it is 30 degrees outside!

Glad to hear that gasket is working out , I think I might do the first burn tomorrow today added a bypass for the termovar and refilled.

got down to 30 last night brrrrrr but the eko kept us toasty! 35 tonight cnace of snow in higher elevations so the eko is still cookin! went to a apple festival this weekend and there was a wood stove/furnace sales person there so I figured I would check it out. asked him about a gasifier and he said he did not know too much about them but he heard they didnt work etc and I should get a wood furnace they are better yadda yadda yadda. kinda smirked and said thanks but no thanks.

god I love my gasifier lol

I've got my Econoburn running for the first time this fall this evening; I'd been getting by with no heat, but that was getting old. 2 hours after lighting the fire, the entire house is filled with cozy warmth.

shoeboxlen said:
well fired up the eko 25 for the first time this year tonight. new gasket is installed and stopping the stink which is good god I love not hearing the furnace not kicking in when it is 30 degrees outside!

Did you have to really bend on that new gasket to get it to seal properly? Mine is in but I haven't burned yet. I had to back the hinges wayyyyy out to get the door to latch. I'm leaving it closed for a few days hoping I can turn the hinges back in a little before my first fire.

Did you use RTV or anything where the ends of the gasket meet?

installng the new gasket took me about an hour or so I was being very carful cleaned out all the old gasket and gasket cement then put the new one in be sure not to twist it. If you do there will be creases where smoke will sneak out of the seal. I did not need to cut an eccess off of the gasket I just worked in in so the ehole thing fit. I then used automotive red silicone on the ends basically wedged the plastic spout thing on the tube in and sqeezed a bunch in. then I put som in each corner I figured that would be the most likely spot to have a leak due to the 90 degree turn. I ended up turning the hinges out 2 turns and putting som weight into closing the door several times the more times it opens and closes the better the seal works in and the easier it closes. I figure I will need to turn the hinges back in 1 turn in a week or so. Knock on wood no leaks yet and everything is going great. Highly recomend the new seal to any of you eko guys probably the best 36 bucks I have spent in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.