First Burn with my Regency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RegencyNS

Feb 13, 2008
Atlantic Canada
Well just got the new Regency 2400M installed today. The install looks great with double wall stove pipe connected to a 30 ft masonary chimney with stainless steel liner. Couldn't wait for breakin burn BUT not really impressed yet. I have to admit the wood I have is seasoned (over two years since cut) but was outside uncovered and is kinda damp. I have a fan blowing on the rest now. I know im not used to it yet, but geeze it took me like an hour and several tries to get it going. Then after it finally went, I wasn't real impressed with the draft. I am used to my fathers VC resolute which would suck the flames right up the chimney- lots of draft. Mine is a basement install with an outside chimney. Since the house is new and very tightly built, I tried opening a window for a couple of mins, but there was no change. Damn, I hope its just the damp wood!!!!

"Patience is Loving and Kind." (at least that's what they told us in Sunday school many years ago)

Sounds like you acknowledge that you may have a wood issue. You still should have had no problem getting a small starter fire started with paper and kindling before adding the wood in question. That should have drafted just fine. Did you leave the front door cracked a bit as the fire tried to take off? - that is a handy trick of the trade. How was the weather? Temps over 50 and a cold stack - not good drafting conditions - I should know as I have basically identical set up as you do as far as basement install with 30 chimney w/liner. Good Luck - you should be fine as Regency makes a good product.

I know I have damp wood- thats for sure. The paper and carfdboard drafted fine and burnt right away. The dry kindling I had also burnt quickly so its got to be the wood. I also tried a couple of peices of strapping (kiln dried building material) and it burnt right up. So its got to be the wood, its got to be the wood, its got to be the wood..........man i hope its the wood

My great white north brother...it's the wood!

You've got that new stove anxiety I just went thru a couple months back. It was hard to swallow dropping $2,500 on a new rig, so I was overanalysing everything too, plus learning new quirks (had an old steel for years). You and the stove will be fine.

Did I mention? It's the wood...

Damp wood makes a lot of steam which then keeps the flue gasses cooler which makes the draft not very good. Get some better wood and I think the draft will improve as well.

Welcome! So good to have company in the 'new stove anxiety' phase :ahhh: .

Reminds me of when my first child was born. That break in period took 15 months!! My questions then were along the lines of 'When will he sleep longer than 1 1/2 hours at a time?'

One of my questions now is 'When will I be able to make my wood last longer than 1 1/2 hours in the flaming stage?'

Son is 18 years old and will sleep 18 hours at a shot if left undisturbed. I have learned not to disturb sleeping children. ;-)

Maybe someday I'll get 18 hour burn times.....

Lots of good folks here so keep coming back. :)

Well after two breakin burns, i have the stove up and runnin strong> The wood seems to have dried out quit a bit, and i now even have the secondary burn happenin. awesome.

Glad to hear its up and running

Stick to this forum they have a ton of good advice.

I had similar angst but took the advice here and swallowed hard and bought some stacks of hardware store wood

Problem solved!

Tom
Regency Medium Insert 2400

Status
Not open for further replies.