First Burn with New Yorker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjwme

Aug 19, 2008
northern maine
First burn with my New Yorker WC-90 and also my wood pile

great site

good info

Attachments

• boiler3.JPG
    boiler3.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 444
  • wood pile3.jpg
    wood pile3.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 413
Nice looking wood. Hope you've got more.

looks nice....let me know of any tips or tricks you come along with for this boiler - my new yorker will be sliding down my steps saturday night. then hopefully in about 2 weeks i should be boiling water. i am curious to know what size wood works best, as i will soon be splitting wood for the next season. seems as though the new yorker was not in short supply this year as i know there are quite a few members here installing or have just installed one.

thanks guys, so far I have been using a few quarters to get it going and then throwing in the big splits for overnight.All my wood is cut 16 inches which works really well i think. So far it has been working great, still a little warm to be burning right now but I am trying to find what settings work best. Only problem I have had is a little smoke problem when i open the door to reload. If you crack the door really slow it usaully isnt to bad.

Mine is here in town now! Contractor will be over to pipe it tomorrow or the day after, and then wire it Friday. Wouldn't say I am anxious or anything. I've got five cord of wood in the basement... brother has a trash business, and he had me go see one of his customers Sunday. Seems she is 85, and can't deal with coal or wood anymore.

She had a coal bin that would hold 2 ton. The sides busted out because it was rotten, the pile of coal was covered with a tarp. It's nugget anthracite, generally clean, and looks good. I loaded as much as I felt comfortable into my 1/2 ton GMC, and took it home. I've got four 55 gallon drums full of coal in the basement, and that much more at least.

Never burned coal before, but it looks like I am going to be burning some this winter. The wood won't spoil if it sits, and I'll have it for the fireplace insert in the living room during the between times... it's what I've been doing for five years now.

Pictures and status reports as the job goes along...

I understand some things about coal...

1. Gasses explode, so once a bed of wood coals is established, a light layer of coal over them and allow it to ignite...
2. Keep air supply in the door open to burn off coal gasses as the fire establishes itself.
3. Once coal "lights", add more in thin layers and allow it to ignite before adding more.
4. Try to not disturb the burning coal as you add more.
5. Once the fire is established and yellow flames dissipate, close the door air supply
6. Leave it alone until it's time to add more coal... poking at it will smother it.
7. Don't shake grates more than enough to get a couple hot embers into the ash pit, then stop. Leave ash on the grates to protect them.

Did I leave anything out?

Status
Not open for further replies.