First Burn (with photos)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EddieB

Nov 9, 2011
Long island
Thanks to all of you here, I've got my first fire going right now.

The Vermont Castings Defiant 2-1 is being broken in as I write this.

I will be forever grateful for all of the help, support and advice you have provided so far. I hope as I cut, stack, burn, and clean I will learn enough to share information with the next new comer who has questions.

I'll keep you all updated on the stove and it's operation. So far, it's looks really nice, and all seems well.

Thanks again!

Ed

Attachments

• FirstBurn.jpg
    FirstBurn.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,242
  • FirstBurn2.jpg
    FirstBurn2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,224
Looks great . Congrats

In the photos, do you already have the damper closed and the cat engaged? What are you griddle temps? The fire seems too early and small to close the damper and get an effective cat burn out of it.

No the damper was open and the temp at the top hit about 400 degrees. It's just the first of three break in fires. Next one should get bigger and tonight even bigger.

EddieB said:
No the damper was open and the temp at the top hit about 400 degrees. It's just the first of three break in fires. Next one should get bigger and tonight even bigger.

That makes sense and is the correct usage. The photo looked like the left side handle was in the closed position.

That is one beautful stove. Are you using the catalyist for your burns - or when you get past the break-in to full time burning? I think you will like the efficiency of it.

Several of us are interested in how the new 2in1 stove design holds-up compared to some of the older VC stoves. the 2in1 is so new, there isn't much feedback yet. Any observations and pics would be very much welcomed and appreciated.

Happy burning,
Bill

Wow that is absolutely stunning! Almost makes me reconsider my stove purchase s I have always wanted a Defiant in my living room......You are really gonna love it and wonder how you got along so long without a stove.

Yes, that is a beautiful stove. 8" flue, right? Cheers!

Stunning stove.

You must be really proud.

And welcome to the forum :)

EddieB said:
mellow said:
How did the outside pipe install go?

Well, it seemed to go OK...

It's tucked behind the bricks from the oil burner....

here's a look

Easy to inspect.
Pull the clean out plug & look up (with safety glasses on of course)
Cleaning from the bottom will be nice too.
Looks good.

Congratulations EddieB,

What a Beautiful stove and a Beautiful home also. You are correct about all the fine folk at Hearth.com. They are wonderful individuals that are willing to help us Newbie Wood Stovers out. They have been like family to me and I really appreciate all that they have done for me also...

I wish you well...

Fredo

Every year I am impressed by so many beautiful stoves that are on the market. So much better than those stoves of 50 years ago. That's a beauty Eddie.

Nice job Eddie and a nice looking stove.
I have always liked the looks of those VC's.

Ed, that looks really sweet !! Big congrats !!

Nice looking stove. Good luck with it.

Is that brick chimney really leaning over as bad as it looks in the pic?

NATE379 said:
Is that brick chimney really leaning over as bad as it looks in the pic?

The pic is messing with your eyes.

Ed, beautiful stove and home. It makes me feel warm and makes me wonder why anyone would be without a wood stove to keep warm. I know the answer to that but thank God I have never been without one. My stoves are largely responsible for my sanity! :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.