First Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WARDNEAL

Jun 13, 2010
Central Ks
I finally got the first burn this morning on the Englander 13nci.

Got up to 325 on the on the corner of the door ( only place for the temp. reading on a insert).

Still had red coals after 6 hours with the air wide open for the last 4 hours.

Just used some punky willow and some good dry elm only 2 splits and some splitter trash.

Very happy with the first burn.

My Wife came in and said "is it always going to look like an inferno" ( had some good secondary burn going after only 10 min.)

Thanks to everyone on this site for the great advice in getting the 6in insulated liner and insert diy installed.

Neal

Nice burn, I'm working on a hearth for the same insert. Quick question from your install picture is how much space was there between the 6" liner and front faceplate to clear the lintel. Just curious if the unit can actually be installed 8" onto the hearth like manual says with such a small foot print (14").

Looks and sounds good Neal. Your wife will soon get used to it, especially when the weather turns cold. That wood heat will really feel great then.

CHIMENEA

The anser to your question is that their is only about 2in from the liner to the surround.

I had a brick fireplace with a raised hearth.

Took out the raised hearth and put in the travertine with cement board under it and I tiled over the brick on the face.

The face to the insert on mine is over 4 inches thick.

I receced the insert into the fire place.

The fire box is about 3/4 in higher than my hearth and with the insert receced in the fire place the bottom of the insert does not touch my hearth.

I now have the surrond on my insert.

Had to have it cut and some nuts welded on the back.

It only cost about $50.00 to have it custom cut.

So in my case I had to go to some extra work to make it work with my liner and hearth but it is all good now.

I will try to get you a picture to help explaine later.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 128_2844-1.jpg
    128_2844-1.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 134
Yea that definitely helps, Thanks. Thinking I'll have to do some fabricating also to make the surround work, need 4-1/2 to 5" to clear my lintel after tile. Sounds similar to your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.