First Chimney Clean - EVER - and to my surprise...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
After having the wrong size brush and having to go to two additional stores, I found that sweeping a chimney is really a pretty easy job. I got about 1/2 coffee can of powdery stuff out of the chimney.

What is concerning me, and was a huge surprise, is what I found in my stovepipe. My stove sits 6 feet from the chimney. 6' of black 5" stove pipe, then into masonry, clay-lined chimney 6x6 (I found out tonight. thought it was 8x8).

I was under the impression that as gases cooled up the chimney, the most creosote would be at the top of the chimney. Instead, in my stovepipe, there is/was what I consider to be a lot of creosote. It doesn't come off easily either. Some had really turned into big flakes, but a lot of if it is stuck hard core to the pipe. I've only been using a grill brush because I don't have a 5" round sweep, but is this normal?

I found it quite odd and a little unnerving. I know my wood supply was mostly green last year, so I hope that I've alleviated most of this problem, but it was strange and a pretty big concern to see that.

I look forward to your collective wisdom. Thanks!

Even though temps are generally warmer in this part of the system air leaks at the joints can help create a build-up here. Considering how little you got out of the chimney, and the poor fuel source last year, I'd say that doesn't sound bad so long as the brush was a good fit.

How tight was the brush in the chimney? How easy was it to reverse the direction? If you let go of the brush and rods, would they stay in the chimney on their own or would they have fallen to the bottom?

Maybe with that much single wall pipe you might want to consider using furnace cement on the joints to help seal them better. Also the obvious, better wood.

pen

pen said:
Even though temps are generally warmer in this part of the system air leaks at the joints can help create a build-up here. Considering how little you got out of the chimney, and the poor fuel source last year, I'd say that doesn't sound bad so long as the brush was a good fit.

How tight was the brush in the chimney? How easy was it to reverse the direction? If you let go of the brush and rods, would they stay in the chimney on their own or would they have fallen to the bottom?

Maybe with that much single wall pipe you might want to consider using furnace cement on the joints to help seal them better. Also the obvious, better wood.

pen

the brush fit in the chimney so that it would, and did, stay when I let go of the rods. I wouldn't say it was extremely tight though. Felt as if it would have removed any thing sticking out - within reason. To reverse the direction wasn't difficult. I didn't feel as if there was a real strong tug to switch directions.

Furnace cement on the joints - good idea.

Virtually all of the accumulation in my basement stove is in the connector pipe to the chimney. Seems that cool single wall pipe catches everything at start-up. Being that it is just used when I go down there to do stuff it gets a lot of restarts.

Every once in a while I tap the pipe to drop the crap back down into the stove. The rest of the thirty five feet of liner after the thimble is just light soot.

As BB said, that's just part of having single wall, furnace cement may help some if you feel like trying it.

Sounds like your brush is adequate. If your fuel source is better this year then I would expect better results to boot!

Enjoy

pen

I don't want to down play the risk of chimney fire's too much, but a half a coffee can of gasoline wouldn't do as much damage as the amount of creosote I've seen come out of some open fire places when they're cleaned.

Brian, you should be much better this year and it sounds like last year went pretty well. As for the furnace cement in the joints, I have always used it in the joints. It is cheap, easy to put on and cleans up easy too. It is hard to go wrong. I realize many don't do it but it surely won't do any harm and just might help that little bit more.

Our stove sits directly under our chimney. I used double wall from the stove to the chimney. We clean from the bottom up so the double wall was ordered to telescope. Just slide the telescoping double wall and remove it. Keeps me off the roof. That part of the house is two story. Pipe seems to stay clean. Maybe it stays hotter inside because it is a minumum of two layers thick.
Tom

Thanks for all the replies. It further validates my LOVE for the wealth of information on this site!!! SO GREAT!

As far as furnace cement for the joints, what is the consistency of that stuff and do they make it in black? You know, just to look consistent? :)

Thanks again all!

Ooops, double post.

Well, one more question. Putting the stove pipe back together, it is big end over small end when coming from the chimney to the stove right? I believe I remember it being counter-intuitive.

Crimped end toward the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.