First chimney cleaning and nothing but dust...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain Man

Aug 29, 2009
Southeast NH
Finally got around to cleaning my chimney tonight and was amazed at how little actually came out. I used nice dry wood this past winter in my new Alderlea T6 and it paid off. I was worried the long chimney with a 30 degree elbow would be difficult to clean, but it was actually pretty easy. I have nothing but great things to say about the T6. This thing performed flawlessly! I burned 8 months straight as the only heat source and used only four cords of wood. If I could only get the stove to bring the wood inside in the coldest of winter and load itself I would say it was perfect. LOL. Thank you to everyone on this site for all the great information. It was research on this site that helped me choose this stove and learn how to burn correctly. Still trying to get a few years ahead on wood, but we will get there. Now bring on the cold! :coolgrin:

Attachments

• DSC03338-1.jpg
    DSC03338-1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 491
  • DSC03342.jpg
    DSC03342.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 510
Good to hear the T6 is keeping you warm and cozy. We'll be checking the chimney soon to see how we did last season.

MM did you clean from the top or the bottom??

Good deal . . . and an anecdotal story that again proves that outside chimneys don't always result in excessive creosote . . . providing the user burns seasoned wood and burns at the proper temps. Pretty stove and hearth by the way.

Mountain Man said:
Finally got around to cleaning my chimney tonight and was amazed at how little actually came out. I used nice dry wood this past winter in my new Alderlea T6 and it paid off. I was worried the long chimney with a 30 degree elbow would be difficult to clean, but it was actually pretty easy. I have nothing but great things to say about the T6. This thing performed flawlessly! I burned 8 months straight as the only heat source and used only four cords of wood. If I could only get the stove to bring the wood inside in the coldest of winter and load itself I would say it was perfect. LOL. Thank you to everyone on this site for all the great information. It was research on this site that helped me choose this stove and learn how to burn correctly. Still trying to get a few years ahead on wood, but we will get there. Now bring on the cold! :coolgrin:

Nice looking stove! I was just curious, did you put an angle on that pipe to get around the window, or was there another reason for it? Also wondering how far you came straight out the house once you went through the wall (sheetrock, studs, etc) to the outer chimney. How many years have you had it this way?

freeburn said:
Mountain Man said:

Nice looking stove! I was just curious, did you put an angle on that pipe to get around the window, or was there another reason for it? Also wondering how far you came straight out the house once you went through the wall (sheetrock, studs, etc) to the outer chimney. How many years have you had it this way?

Yes Im wondering if he kicked it over to the low pitched part of the roof to ease access ;)

I see you went with the fat boy pipe off of the stove, do you really think you needed it as that stuff is pricey, how many square ft is your house?

A true testament to burning wood the right way. Also another positive statement about the SS chimney outside and how bad it can be. You have proved another theory wrong!

Backwoods Savage said:
A true testament to burning wood the right way. Also another positive statement about the SS chimney outside and how bad it can be. You have proved another theory wrong!

not really, just because one tee system works, doesn't another wont smoke, or be hard to light
especially in a downstairs install

awesome install btw!!

Right. Put poor fuel in any stove and you will have those problems.

ANeat said:
freeburn said:
Mountain Man said:

Yes Im wondering if he kicked it over to the low pitched part of the roof to ease access ;)

I'm guessin you may be right with this easy access theory, however, the old 10 3 2 rule could have come into play here too!

I have to agree with Da Savage. For every fifty people posting here with the evil outside chimney or exterior masonry chimney with a liner it seems maybe one comes along with a draft problem and I don't recall seeing any with creosote problems, though I might have missed some. And questioning usually leads to the discovery of less than optimum wood.

gotta ax= which side of house is the chimney on? i'm thinkin the sun keeps the chimni warm until u get home & crank the stove? can u detail your burning schedule? thanx

They are more prone to having problems but once again the word varible comes to mind with wood heat, and us humans are the biggest one!

BrotherBart said:
I have to agree with Da Savage. For every fifty people posting here with the evil outside chimney or exterior masonry chimney with a liner it seems maybe one comes along with a draft problem and I don't recall seeing any with creosote problems, though I might have missed some. And questioning usually leads to the discovery of less than optimum wood.

I can tell ya mine's an exterior brick 2ft x 2ft with 8in. terra cotta that's lined with 6in. stainless flex and vermiculite insulation and my sweep wouldn't even run the brush down it.....told me to call him next year.

That picture of the chimney isnt great, but the installer suggested running it that way to clear 2nd floor window and not have a really tall pipe above the roof if run straight up. My house is 1850 sq.ft. and the stove has no problem keeping it hot! We have six inch walls, by code, so i believe the horizontal pipe is 18" to the tee. The angle of the tee does make it easier to clean, but that wasn't planned. I have to say I was nervous I would have draft problems, but it turns out once I get the stove going I have a pretty good draft. Occasionally, If I let the stove get cold, I may have to crack the window by the stove to reverse the down draft, but the problem goes away. Not usually a concern as we burn 24/7 once the temperatures drop. I think we went 4 months straight without letting the stove go cold. Pretty easy to do with the T6 also. Oh, Pook, the chimney is on the southwest side of the house and shaded fairly well with tall trees, so i dont think we are getting too much heat from the sun me thinks. October 1st was really our first serious fire in the stove, so we have about 5 or 6 weeks til then, but we are ready and my wife can't wait. LOL. She is from CA, but loves the seasons out here and really loves this stove in the winter.

Happy burning everyone :) and thanks again to everyone's help and information offered here on this site.

BrotherBart said:

I had a small pile of dust when i did my cleaning last year.all i did last year was wet oak.its a SS insert(insulated).

Status
Not open for further replies.