First chimney cleaning of the season...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewboy

Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2008
Lakes Region, NH
I swept it before the burning season started but yesterday was a good opportunity to do a mid-winter brush. I stuffed a paper bag in the clean out and ended up only getting about a third of a cup of powder. This speaks well of the wood I'm burning which is all at least 2 years old (and some 1 and a half yr. old ash).

One question - considering the small amt. of crap in the chimney, should I be concerned with checking the connector pipe, elbow and thimble? I don't get the feeling of impending doom as in years past - but give me a kick in the butt if I'm being lazy.

Thanks, Rob

Let Me Stand Next To Your Fire said:
I swept it before the burning season started but yesterday was a good opportunity to do a mid-winter brush. I stuffed a paper bag in the clean out and ended up only getting about a third of a cup of powder. This speaks well of the wood I'm burning which is all at least 2 years old (and some 1 and a half yr. old ash).

One question - considering the small amt. of crap in the chimney, should I be concerned with checking the connector pipe, elbow and thimble? I don't get the feeling of impending doom as in years past - but give me a kick in the butt if I'm being lazy.

Thanks, Rob

Check the whole thing and don't look back. When you are done, crack a cold one and celebrate some peace of mind.

It's a personal choice . . . but I only clean out my stove-pipe once a year . . . and this is from a guy who is a real worrier when it comes to fire safety . . . to the point where I brush my chimney monthly.

Status
Not open for further replies.