First chimney cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brian89gp

Minister of Fire
Mar 15, 2008
Kansas City
Cleaned the chimney for the first time and I got a couple black sand grain size pieces and some brown/grey soot. Maybe 1/4 teaspoon in all. Did I clean it properly? Was cleaning from the bottom up and would sweep each section of rod up and down 4-5 times before attaching the next rod. Had burned about 3/4 cord of sweetgum and maple in the past 4 weeks, liner and stove were newly installed at that time.

I reached my hand up inside the flue and it was covered with a white ash. The inside of my stove looks like a flour bomb went off most times with a fine white ash covering all surfaces.

I have the smooth wall SS flex liner 40' long, 1/2" wrap insulation, inside chimney, poly brush, and I burn it hot all the time. I test fit the brush inside a section of spare liner and it has good contact and has resistance to changing direction.

I'll be back on the roof in a couple weeks and I will peek down at that time just to be sure. I just can't believe there wasn't more and am doubting that I did it correctly.

That is very little creosote, but it sounds like you have a perfect setup to get these results. Smooth wall liner, 1/2" insulation, inside chimney. May I ask, what brand of liner do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.