First Chimney cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
Well, today I decided to clean out my stoves chimney liner. The liner is roughly 23' long. I removed the cap which was pretty dirty, but it turned out to be 99% fly ash. a couple sprays with some Fireview cleaner and any creosote was gone.

Next the liner. I dropped a utility light down and it was nothing but more fly ash, and not much of it either. All like fine powder.

Next I removed all the burn tubes and pushed the upper bricks and insulation board aside (not too easy, but not all that bad either) and felt around a bit. All the refrectory cement I put in to seal the connection from stove to liner was intact, so no sense in messing with it.

I dropped a rope down with the aid of a large socket. Tied the brush to the rope at the top and pulled the brush down the liner and into the stove a few times. There was a lot of dust, but with the help of my daughter holding the vacuum in the mouth of the stove, most was sucked up.

Next I cleaned the dust out of the stove, inspected the liner with the light again...most of the ash was gone now. Put it all back together.

I wish all weekend chores went that smooth. It's rare.

Now I'm ready to burn again.

See. Elm is your friend.

thanks warren. this is a bit encouraging as I consider my first go at it. the worst part of my situation, being in the city, is that my house is 4' from the neighbors and the chimney is 30' up. in fact my installer charged extra due to the harrowing nature of the job. I have worked at heights a lot, so it shouldn't be too bad but makes for a steep ladder!

martel said:
thanks warren. this is a bit encouraging as I consider my first go at it. the worst part of my situation, being in the city, is that my house is 4' from the neighbors and the chimney is 30' up. in fact my installer charged extra due to the harrowing nature of the job. I have worked at heights a lot, so it shouldn't be too bad but makes for a steep ladder!

You be damned careful up there. And have somebody at the bottom of that ladder. If they can't hold it steady, at least they might break your fall.

yes, thanks BB, damned careful is right. I have actually worked for several years on trees, particularly building high ropes courses. My plan is to actually set an anchor and tie in with a harness. Better safe than flattened.

martel said:
yes, thanks BB, damned careful is right. I have actually worked for several years on trees, particularly building high ropes courses. My plan is to actually set an anchor and tie in with a harness. Better safe than flattened.

It's not the fall that gets you...it's that sudden stop. Be careful.

I'm going to sweep my chimney today and see how much creosote the old smoker made last year.

Warren said:
BrotherBart said:
See. Elm is your friend.

Your mean!! :coolgrin: :lol: :lol:
At least i didnt say it .................... This time .

Status
Not open for further replies.