First Chimney Sweep.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thecarver61

Jan 3, 2010
ohio
I just cleaned my chimney today for the first time. My question has to do with the type and quantity of soot that was removed. I had roughly a half gallon of soot that was not at all ashy. It was like small coal shavings. Like flecks of black paint. Is this normal? I do suspect that some of the wood burned was not seasoned enough. In advance, I do appreciate any responses to my post. Thankyou.

I agree that it sounds like the wood has not been seasoned enough. I'd run a brush up every month this year and work on dryer wood for next year.

http://www.thermocrete.com/creosote2.htm

The 4 stages of creosote.

Matt

thecarver61 said:
I just cleaned my chimney today for the first time. My question has to do with the type and quantity of soot that was removed. I had roughly a half gallon of soot that was not at all ashy. It was like small coal shavings. Like flecks of black paint. Is this normal? I do suspect that some of the wood burned was not seasoned enough. In advance, I do appreciate any responses to my post. Thankyou.

What temps are you burning at? I'd say burn a bit hotter, that should limit the black flakes and give more brownish ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.