First Cleaning, CB 1200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAV1

Feb 11, 2010
Northern, NJ
Finished running my first 3.5 bags through the new stove and did my first basic cleaning.

Opened up door, vacuumed all ash, cleaned out burn pot, removed clinkers, and windex on the glass... Anything more I need to worry about on a frequent basis?

Thanks..

LOL....no, not after only 3 1/2 bags. I start thinking about a basic cleaning (ash traps, firebox, firepot, ash pan) after about 10-12 bags.

If the fire seems to be burning cleanly, bright yellow flame w/ a bit of blue at the base, and I don't see any build-up or clinkers at the bottom of the pot, I leave it alone.....maybe open door to clean glass every couple of days.......but I went almost 2 weeks this last time w/o even opening the door.

PAV1 said:
Finished running my first 3.5 bags through the new stove and did my first basic cleaning.

Opened up door, vacuumed all ash, cleaned out burn pot, removed clinkers, and windex on the glass... Anything more I need to worry about on a frequent basis?

Thanks..

Pav, i shut mine down and do a basic cleaning ( vacuum all ash , cleanup the back board,the heat exchangers,and dump the ash pan ) every 3 days ( regardless of how many hoppers i burn) i know that sounds a bit "anal" to some but i like to KNOW shes breathing good and burning right! i clean the glass off every day ( sometimes more) . to me if something ever happens to the stove i don't want it to be from neglect on my part! i say keep her clean! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.