First Cleaning Using My New Craftsman Gasket Scraper - WOW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKS130

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
What a great tool! After reading about using a gasket scraper to clean the burn-pot on various posts about cleaning your stove, I set out to buy one. Neither the local auto supply store nor HD had one, although the guy at the auto supply was ready to order one for me, all the time wondering why I didn't just use a screwdriver. Not wanting to wait, I kept looking around.

While at SEARS with Madame Defarge last weekend, just after I had cleaned the stove that morning, I took a look at their auto repair tools. The clerk had no idea what I was looking for but sent me in the right direction where I found 2 different sizes of gasket scrapers. What a great tool. Made in USA, sharp tapered edge and about 7/8" wide. Cleaned out all the carbon buildup in my burn-pot with no effort at all and with greater success than the Harman supplied "Arrow" tool or a screwdriver.

I think I will buy the wider one as well (about 1 1/2") and get it ground down to match the contour of the Harman arrow and use it to clean the heat exchanger next year.

Undoubtedly the best tool I have ever bought for $9.99!

>:-( I was just in Sears and forgot to look for one!!!!

I wonder when Madame Defarge is going to apply the board of education to RKS130.

How's it going RKS130?.

RKS130 said:
What a great tool! After reading about using a gasket scraper to clean the burn-pot on various posts about cleaning your stove, I set out to buy one. Neither the local auto supply store nor HD had one, although the guy at the auto supply was ready to order one for me, all the time wondering why I didn't just use a screwdriver. Not wanting to wait, I kept looking around.

While at SEARS with Madame Defarge last weekend, just after I had cleaned the stove that morning, I took a look at their auto repair tools. The clerk had no idea what I was looking for but sent me in the right direction where I found 2 different sizes of gasket scrapers. What a great tool. Made in USA, sharp tapered edge and about 7/8" wide. Cleaned out all the carbon buildup in my burn-pot with no effort at all and with greater success than the Harman supplied "Arrow" tool or a screwdriver.

I think I will buy the wider one as well (about 1 1/2") and get it ground down to match the contour of the Harman arrow and use it to clean the heat exchanger next year.

Actually, I just went to a Harman seminar last week, and the speaker suggested using exactly that, a gasket scraper.

Tom C.

I looked at those the other day. I don't seem to have any trouble with the supplied Harman tool but I love tools!

Hey Smokey, so far I seem to be safe from Madame's vengeance! In truth she is a great gal, just a bit opinionated!

As to how its going - as to life, who knows, as to heat so far so good. I seem to be on the right track (thanks to you and others) in finding the right settings for my stove to provide optimal heat. I still think it is a bit underpowered for our particular space, but Madame Defarge wanted the Accentra and so we have it. She is warming to the notion of a second stove for next year. I am toying with the notion of a smallish stove for our very small unfinished basement to warm the floor of the first floor - and therefore lift some of the load from the Accentra, and keep pipes from freezing down there. I can also duct some heat to the kitchen and garage/storage space.

We shall see.

RKS130, can you post a picture of one. I'd go to Sears and pick one up for my Harman.

Get the set...

Attachments

• craftsman gasket scraper.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 665
Thanks, I'll pick a set of those as well!

Sheesh, we bought them out! There's a 3pc set on ebay...

I bought mine on Amazon. Best tool ever! 100x better than the tool that came with the stove.

Thanks to those who posted photos - as I am less than successful with that! More importantly, thanks for letting this newbie feel like he contributed something useful for a change, instead of just getting great information and advice from others!

P.S.: I have the one which is on top in the photo posted by jmbones.

I got a paint scraper like this
623.jpg

...and then I put the blade in a vice and bent it to a 45* angle so I can get it deep into the burn pot. It works great but it looks like the gasket scraper has a longer handle and my hand wouldn't get as burnt!

Got mine for $3 at Harbor freight

Attachments

• scraper.jpg
    scraper.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 496
i use a prybar. its got a much harder edge and you can apply much more down pressure with it. it blows that carbon speed bump right off. makes quick work of it. i spend about 20 seconds cleaning the pot.

xraycer said:
Got mine for $3 at Harbor freight

I am actually planning on getting that one. How well does it work?

RKS130 said:

Mind posting the sku or item number of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.