First come, first serve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
I have been driving past this White Oak tree for several months thinking someone is going to get a nice load of fire wood. I got back from vacation last week and on the way to work saw that the tree was on the ground and all that was left was the trunk. I now have a saw big enough to handle it but there was no one living in the house to ask if I could take it. With very little effort I found out that the church next door owned the house. I called yesterday and was told First come, first serve. The problem is that this weekend is my only shot and it is supposed to be 99 on Saturday and 98 on Sunday. That is not the heat index. Oh well, I was planning on spending most of the day floating down the river on a tube. I will try to do both.

Attachments

• HPIM3385.jpg
    HPIM3385.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 667
Bspring said:
it is supposed to be 99 on Saturday and 98 on Sunday. That is not the heat index. Oh well, I was planning on spending most of the day floating down the river on a tube. I will try to do both.
How about floating in a river of your own sweat? Would that suffice? :lol:
I would jump on White Oak. I seldom get any because mine seem to be immortal.

Sounds like an early rise, quick cup o' Joe and get at it! You'll be ready for that float by late morning!

Get 'er done. Don't cut more than you can take. If the heat gets to you and you leave a handful of those rounds there, someone might roll them away!

Get there at the crack of dawn couple hrs and thats a done deal. (keep it in the rounds split later) ;-)

my buddy anyways says "snooze you lose". jump on it and post some pics if you can.

Yup, sharp chain and an early morning and thats an hour or less of cutting while its still cool out. Load it up and get it out of there and you cna be home, unloaded and heading for the river by 10am. Piece of cake, your scrounging can't get too much easier than this.

Get that oak.....but not during church hours.

If you have the saw it really won't take that long to clean that up and it is prime fuel for you. Besides, this way you'll enjoy that float trip even more.

Looks like "easy" pickings... early is key and bring lots of water to drink and borrow the hose to hose yourself off occasionally. Nice score.

Ill be Travlers Rest this weekend, whats the heat index looking like?

hard to turn that down.

the river will be sweet relief for sure.

bspring-do you work from dark to dark??? if it is on the way to work, grab it on the way home. just cut till you're tired, then load and go. sure wouldn't be the first time for many of us to grab a load on the way home...butt draggin and all that! if you can't take any more mt. dew, grab some water!
gotta make hay when the sunshines!

yooperdave said:
gotta make hay when the sunshines!

And make liquor when the moon shines. Grab that up while you can son.

"Get there at the crack of dawn"???? Man if I lived near there and you started attacking that oak with a chainsaw at dawn it had better be bigger than mine because I'd attack YOU with my chainsaw:) Good luck!

I hope you are there cutting and loading instead of reading this. I would be all over that. For some reason, I come across a lot more silver maple than oak.

I hope your day is going better than mine. I'll start another thread to complain, but dang it's hot!

Grab it.

I got it! We did not get as early of a start as I would have liked because we had some friends over last night that stayed till around midnight. It only took an hour to cut it and load it on the trailer but that was enough to sweat through all my clothes. It was around 91 when I got back to the house. We were finished around 10:00 and on the river by noon. That cold water sure felt good.

Attachments

• P7220001.jpg
    P7220001.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 291
  • P7220003.jpg
    P7220003.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 280
  • done.jpg
    done.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 281
  • P7230027.jpg
    P7230027.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 313
bspring, glad you got it. next we'll start seeing you at our monthly scrounging therapy sessions!
Looks like nice stuff.

Awesome on the 4th pic.....The others are pretty cool to!

Very nicely done.

That's the kind of wood I like!!!!! No limbs to deal with just cut and load.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.