First Cool Morning......here it comes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
It is 50 degrees here now. The first cool morning we've had. winter is coming...And in spite of myself, I think I'm ready.

I've been lazy this year. Havn't done much wood. maybe 1 cord since the burn season ended last year. I've moved some of my wood around. Fought with some snakes, split some stuff that Ive had around since last summer but as far as getting new wood, I've let it go. I will probly not burn 4 cords this year. I have about 6-7 cord out there. Some of it I've had out there for 3 years. My intention was to have 10 cord on hand when the season started so that when it ended, if I continued to gather wood, I'd have 2 full years of back up supply. So many other things to do....how did our forefathers manage to get enough wood to survive the winters??

47 degrees here in central MA now. I too spent the weekend shuffling some dry wood under cover, stacking some green stock, and cutting some for next year. I've never seen so many snakes in the piles.

I had frost and ice on the windshield this morning here in Central PA. The car thermometer read 34. I still have to wait a little before firing up the Harman DVC500 but I'm getting ready. If anybody knows a website where I can get 4" stainless pipe as opposed to galvanized it would be appreciated. I need to replace some elbows that are a little rusty. Happy burning. :lol:

Corie said:
the cool temperatures this morning *forced* me to light a little fire to take the chill off of things.....

:)
Awe................Thats too bad , "forced" to start a fire. I almost feel sorry 4 U . NOT ! %-P

This morning was the first where I seriously thought about a fire, but the house would have been roasting. Temp in the diningroom was about 69, outside was 42. So I put the (gasp) oil burner on for about 10 minutes to take the chill off.

So sitting at the kitchen table I'm freezing...look at the window and realize the cold air is POURING in through the window AC. Time to get that thing out of the window!!

Guess what I'm doing tonight.

Yeah I woke up FREEZING this morning and found out EVERY window in the damn apartment was open, but all the shades were drawn so I didn't see. Oops

Corie said:
Yeah I woke up FREEZING this morning and found out EVERY window in the damn apartment was open, but all the shades were drawn so I didn't see. Oops
Yeah - Ok , but did "she" buy that story ? Leaving the widows open all nigh and then covering them with the shades , thats alright Corie ........"We" understand.

Warren said:
This morning was the first where I seriously thought about a fire, but the house would have been roasting. Temp in the diningroom was about 69, outside was 42. So I put the (gasp) oil burner on for about 10 minutes to take the chill off.
:exclaim: :bug: :exclaim:

Roospike said:
Warren said:
:exclaim: :bug: :exclaim:

I'm sorry Spike... I'm just hoping Craig won't banish me from the forum for that.

Tennessee checking in...........50 degrees outside at 9 am................72 degrees in my house.

I hated to do it but I cheated............I fired off the gas heat for about 5 minutes just to take the chill out. :)

Got plenty of good dry wood, kindling etc, but just did not light a fire yet. We usually try to light the first fire in the evening.

Robbie

Robbie said:
....72 degrees in my house.........I fired off the gas heat for about 5 minutes just to take the chill out. :)

Robbie

Wow, you guys in Tennessee have pretty thin blood. ;-P

It's currently 60 outside here in Buffalo area, house temp is holding steady at 66 degrees, I usually try and wait as long as possible before lighting the stove, because it just gets to warm in the house when it's only 60 degrees outside. Last night I did light the stove it was 45 degrees outside and the house got to 63 degrees, within 1 hour the house was up tp 73 degrees. There calling for another cool one tonight so I got the stove loaded and ready to light again tonight. I hate digging into my wood pile when it's only September.

Well, you'll be happy to know that I was in the ocean the other day and the water temp was 60. Just balmy! I think it was my last swim of the year - I'm in Maine so my skin is practically leather ;) No fires for me yet....

iburnpine said:
Well, you'll be happy to know that I was in the ocean the other day and the water temp was 60. Just balmy! I think it was my last swim of the year - I'm in Maine so my skin is practically leather ;) No fires for me yet....
60°! In Maine thats hot tub temperature! :D

let it snow let it snow let it snowww <sung in my best x mas voice> nice and chilly here today. hasnt got out of the 30's yet. I should put another log on the fire....

49 degrees here at 7:30 pm...I couldn't stand it...I lit it!!! I put the camp stove in the opening for 10 minutes to get the draft going...lit the paper and off she went. A couple splits of pine, 10 peices of kindling, and a bunch of 4" junk peices of maple....

Good grief it got hot in here fast!!!!!!

Now I have the windows open!

DonCT said:
sheesh, it's like a bunch of crack addicts getting this fix :p
That would be "crackle" addicts there Don , get it right brother. :coolsmile:

Roospike said:
DonCT said:
sheesh, it's like a bunch of crack addicts getting this fix :p
That would be "crackle" addicts there Don , get it right brother. :coolsmile:

Yeah, and what's you point?

It sure was nice to have the fire going.

Another Hydeparker heard from. We need a club. The Roosevelt wood burners association.

You in Kevin?

I like that Warren, "the Roosevelt Wood Burners" ! Crackle Addicts, Who me? I'm not addicted!!As I toss another split in the stove, with the windows open, and the temp 89 degrees in the living room, Wife bithching its too hot, I love It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.