First cool night with our new Accentra FS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKS130

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
We had our first somewhat chilly night and morning and I must say the new stove (our first) worked just fine. Yesterday was not too cold, but very damp and raw. Daytime high of about 40. I set the Accentra’s controls to Room Temp at about 68, feed rate at 2 and low for the distribution blower. The house was comfortable all day but really toasty by bedtime, with the main room coming in on the now obsolete thermostat thermometer at 70 degrees..

I reset the controls to the lowest settings on each parameter at about 9PM. When I checked at 2:30 AM, the house was comfortable upstairs and the stove (visible from the landing) was not burning. When the dog woke me up at 4:30 the stove was lit, the second floor was ‘sleeping cool’ but very comfortable and the downstairs was at 62 degrees. Outside temperature was 33.

I cranked up the controls; feed rate back to 2, room temp up to 70 and distribution blower on high. Downstairs is coming up to temp at an even degree every 30 minutes and upstairs is warming nicely as well.

Obviously I have to adjust to heat coming from a single source, as opposed to the radiators in every room we are used to, but it seems obvious that the stove should handle the load quite nicely. I had used a set back thermostat on the oil burner which “learned†and adjusted for how long it takes for the house to come up to the desired temp and turned on the burner accordingly. Any similar type of control available for the stove?

All in all we are thrilled. A little more hands on fiddling with the controls is a small price to pay for freedom from the oil truck.

P.S.: The hopper is full of American Wood Fiber ‘Premium†pellets from the local HD at $3.94 per bag.

Super! Congratulations!

You will want to turn up your feed rate to between 3 and 4, probably closer to 4 and leave it alone. Feed rate setting too low chokes your stoves ability to produce heat efficiently. Setting it higher won't increase your pellet consumption. Only adjust the temperature knob to find a comfortable heat setting and let the stove work as it was intended.

Stop at Home and Hearth in Cortlandt, get some Oakies or Cubex
and you will really see what that stove can do
enjoy

Thanks for the information. We actually bought the stove from Home & Hearth and it came with a free ton of pellets on a Harman promotion. They sent Great American pellets. Burned a bag of that, one of Stove Chow from HD (not as pleased with that as it clouded the glass a bit and seemed to produce more ash) and now a bag of American Wood Fibers, also from HD, which seems pretty good to my inexperienced eyes.

I have already readjusted the feed rate back to 4 and will just let it rip. Wife complained it was cold this morning so, given the time it takes for the house to reheat, will probably not turn it down too much tonight.

I will definitely get some oakies or cubex when I have cleared more storage space in the shed.

Thanks again.

of course they give you their cheapest one, that's them
sometimes not the best to deal with, but they have the best

Got down to 18 last night and my Sante Fe was able to get it from 65 in here to 73 in about alittle over an hour....

Status
Not open for further replies.